Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Bowl Bound College Football > Bowl Bound College Football Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-18-2015, 11:43 PM

I'm reading, please continue. I absolutely enjoy this and wonder why this part of the forum is so dead. I figured it'd be fun to create characters in the mind of individual football players and I'm a stat fiend so if you post numbers I'll definitely read.
Unread 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AysoATX View Post
I'm reading, please continue. I absolutely enjoy this and wonder why this part of the forum is so dead. I figured it'd be fun to create characters in the mind of individual football players and I'm a stat fiend so if you post numbers I'll definitely read.
Haha I really appreciate that man, you have no idea how encouraging that is. It's always nice to know someone somewhere is reading, it makes it worth keeping up with! I'll gladly continue. If you have any suggestions or comments, predictions, ect. feel free to leave em' here and I'll respond as soon as possible!!!

Post Season

Awards Presented:
Chuck Bednarik
Jim Thorpe
Free Safety Louis Jackson routinely frustrated offenses with his athleticism and big-play ability. Teams are still trying to figure out how to handle a player of his ability on the defensive end. He finished the year with 97 total tackles (82 solo), 5 sacks and 17 passes deflected. He managed 7 interceptions for 48 yards and finished with one defensive touchdown as well.

Heisman Trophy
Davey O’Brien Award
QB Anthony Ware was a difference maker on offense and feared by all opposing defensive coordinators this season. He often took games over and leaves a legacy of offensive accomplishments. He completed 247 of 386 passes for 4000 yards with 35 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 174.7.

Lou Groza
K Joe Davis made 23 field goals on 29 attempts, with a season long of 49 yards. He converted 60 of 62 extra point attempts and totaled 129 overall points.

Fred Biletnikoff
WR Vincente Bautista caught 67 balls for 1329 yards, averaging 19.8 yards per catch. He added 11 touchdowns and had 54 yards after contact.

Bowl Invitation!
The Rose Bowl has extended us an invitation to take on California. This is a great opportunity for our program to shine on the big stage. Good luck!

Bowl Games
Just the Bowl Games that WAC Conference teams got invited to.

Hawaii Bowl:
(6-5) Hawaii vs. (8-3) East Carolina

East Carolina def. Hawaii, 27-17.

Champs Sports Bowl:
(7-4) Boise State vs. #23 (8-3) Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech def. Boise State, 26-16.

MPC Computers Bowl:
(8-4) Fresno State vs. (7-4) Clemson

Clemson def. Fresno State, 36-17.

Rose Bowl:
#17 (8-3) California vs. #6 (12-0) Geneva Bible

California def. Geneva Bible, 41-27.

Orange Bowl: (National Championship)
#1 (10-2) Michigan vs. #5 (11-2) Wisconsin

Michigan def. Wisconsin, 37-14 to become the 2012 National Champions!

Interesting, that USC and Iowa who both were in the National Championship last year, failed to even enter the Top 25 when this season was over, sitting at #26, and #28 respectively.
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Low Minors

Off-Season

Last Years Coaching Changes:
(4-7) Southern Methodist
(3-8) Northwestern
(3-8) Rutgers
(1-10) Illinois
(1-10) Kansas
(0-11) Temple
(0-11) Wake Forest
(0-11) Duke

This Year’s Progress:
(5-6) Southern Methodist
(0-11) Northwestern
(0-11) Rutgers
(4-7) Illinois
(2-9) Kansas
(3-8) Temple
(1-10) Wake Forest
(0-11) Duke

Teams I’d like to keep an eye on because of the increase of their records (3 games won more than previous season)

Northwestern
Rutgers
Illinois
Temple

Sitting down and reflecting on our season gave me a lot of laughs. It has been such a joy at Geneva but this time of the year is always reflection time, and job offer time. Looking at my email, one email caught my eye in particular. It was from our Athletic Director, telling us we have the option to move from the WAC to the ACC conference. Of course I accepted that offer, it can only mean bigger and better things for Geneva. Looking through the rest of the news floating through the internet:

(1-10) Army Black Knights have released their head coach and picked up Kevin Newton, who was unemployed last season. (3-8) Arkansas Razorbacks hired Marvin King, another unemployed coach last season, firing their previous coach. (3-8) South Carolina hired Carter Schroeder, and fired their old head coach. Carter was also not employed last season.

I am getting paid $1,125,000 a year to coach Geneva Bible. Today I met with some people who showed interest in me coaching over at Florida Atlantic and told me they’d match my pay. (3-9) Florida Atlantic, was a really nice school that has been on the decline with their football team. Coach Tyler Wall has been coaching for the past 5 years. They started at (6-5) and went to (4-8), then (4-7) for 2 years, and finally this year was (3-9). They’ve gone from finishing 2nd in the conference, to 7th. They tried to keep him around because they liked him, but enough is starting to be enough. After a lot of deliberation, and a couple weeks of serious consideration, I decided to take the job. A personal friend of mine, an assistant coach at LSU took the head coaching job over for me, Edgar Farris.

Geneva Bible... this is goodbye.
Unread 02-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Low Minors

NFL Playoffs

[i]12 Teams competed for the ultimate prize, to be the Super Bowl Champion. So far we’ve seen the Arizona Cardinals (2008), New England Patriots (2009), the San Francisco 49ers (2010), and the Baltimore Ravens (2011) all reach the top of the top. Who will claim the 2012 elusive title of the best in the league?

The top competitors who received a bye week for the first week are:

The Washington Redskins.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
The Houston Texans.
The Miami Dolphins.

The Wildcard

NFC:

The Arizona Cardinals def. the Atlanta Falcons, 17-9 to claim their spot in the Division Championship.
The Green Bay Packers defeated The New Orleans Saints, 30-14 to claim their spot in the Division Championship.

AFC:

The Kansas City Chiefs def. the Oakland Raiders, 33-23 to claim their spot in the Division Championship.
The Baltimore Ravens def. the Indianapolis Colts, 19-14 to lock their place in the Division Championship.

Division Championship

NFC:

The Washington Redskins def. the Arizona Cardinals, 24-13 to move onto the Conference Championship.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated The Green Bay Packers, 38-17 to move onto the Conference Championship.

AFC:

The Houston Texans def. The Kansas City Chiefs, 28-21 and are on their way to the Conference Championship.
The Miami Dolphins def. the Houston Texans, 35-28 to move on to the Conference Championship.

Conference Championship

NFC:

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers def. the Washington Redskins, 30-27 to go on to the Super Bowl!

AFC:

The Miami Dolphins def. the Houston Texans, 30-10 to go on to the Super Bowl!

SuperBowl

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Miami Dolphins, 28-7 to win the Super Bowl and become the 2012 Super Bowl Champions!

C.J. Spiller (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) won the MVP, Playoff MVP, and Offensive POY award for 2012.
Quote:
Spiller, C.J. - RB: 387 att, 1639 yds, 16 TD, 54 rec, 571 yds, 2 TD
Unread 03-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Low Minors

Update on Geneva Alumni

QB James Givens was released the 2nd week of the preseason the same year he was drafted.

RB Neil Ingram made it to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 1 year on a trial run, and while he picked up a Super-Bowl Ring while he was there, he was shortly released after not playing a single play the entire season. RB Ingram decided to stay around for the Free Agency, although hasn't gotten any interest as of yet.

FB Wayne Chen played and started in all 16 games for Houston, and picked up 13 attempts, for 77 yards and 1 touchdown. FB Chen is currently a free agent.

T Michael Cook played in 14 games, started in 2 for New Orleans racking in 9 pancakes.

T Edward Tobin did not play a single game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers but picked up a Super-Bowl ring. Tobin was released shortly after, and did not elect to be in the Free Agency list.

WR Russell Sears signed a contract extension with Green Bay for 2 more years. Sears played in 16 games, started in 0, and received 9 attempts for 130 yards and 1 touchdown.

DT Steven Reynolds signed a contract extension for 1 more year with Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Neil_1113 : 09-21-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Unread 03-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Low Minors

Meeting the Team

When I walked into the room, I found four guys sitting at their seats. The one at the end of the table who looked to be leading the meeting, was David Dotson, the Athletic Director. The two guys on the right side of the table were the Offensive Coordinator Leo Chadwick, and Special Teams Coach Scott Guerra. On the opposite side of those two, next to the empty chair, sat Defensive Coordinator Clayton Sherman. I could tell from first impressions, these guys were a very inspirational, motivated group of coaches.

Mr. Dotson lit up when he saw me, ecstatically expressing his joy with a smile that seemed to big for his face. He introduced me to the other three, but the way he talked about me made it sound like he had been talking about me for a while. I knew Coach Guerra because he had coached Texas for 3 years, before taking a year off. He came back to FAU last year. Coach Sherman had been with Ohio for 2 years, before taking 2 years off, and coming back to join the FAU crowd last year. Coach Chadwick however, was the most faithful. He’s been with FAU for all four years, this is going to be his fifth year.

Coach Chadwick explained their offensive strategy. I came from a team that ran the Run and Gun offense, but FAU were currently running an Option offense. Coach Chadwick actually preferred the Smash Mouth offense. Coach Sherman told me on defense, they were running the 4-3, though he preferred the 3-4. I’m coming from a team that ran the 4-2-5 so it’s not too different for me. I’m going to have to make some changes, but first I’ve got to see what we have to work with after this years draft. Mr. Dotson explained we are actually -135,000 in the hole right now financially. I decided to keep the coaching staff we had here, so I can get better clued in before I try to adjust anything within the administration here.

Now that the introductions were out of the way, and I expressed my desire to keep everyone right where they were, we were able to move on to our current roster of student athletes. I explained that just like staffing, I like to give everyone a shot to play, and earn their spot on the team regardless of previous experiences. So nobody was a certain starter to me, and they were fine with that philosophy. On offense, our strong suits were our halfback, and our tackles. Our tight end was really poor. On defense, our strong suits were our strong safety, though he was a senior so he wouldn’t be here for much longer. We were poor in our tackles and linebackers. With special teams, we were set this year, though our punter was a senior.

Immediately I start pushing the transfer wire. I see a very interesting OG from Florida State that I target, John Lyons, and he bites! He recognized my name as the coach, and decided to accept the invitation to come start for my team here. OT Roger Nelson from Vanderbilt was another that caught my attention, and he decided to accept the transfer request as well! Both of these people, while they do have to earn their job here, I think will wind up dominating at the offensive line for me next season. A couple others I targeted like a TE, WR, and a SS, but they transferred elsewhere. I got a message left with my assistant at the end of the transfer window, from an OLB named Nicholas Bowling. Here’s the message.

Quote:
Coach Demarco,

I wanted to let you know that I am interested in playing football for Florida Atlantic. My girlfriend just got accepted there and plans to enroll in the fall. We really want this relationship to work and would both love to attend classes together next fall. We now live in North Carolina and I am probably not even on your radar right now. Still, I would love to visit Florida Atlantic and meet with you and the team.
I am currently playing Outside Linebacker and think I could really help out your team next season. I know you have a limited number of scholarships, but I think you won't regret giving me a shot to join up with the Owls. So, I hope you will consider me in your recruiting efforts.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Bowling
Well, with Bowling in mind, and the rest of our team needing a make-over, this was going to be one interesting season to say the least. We finished 3-9 last season without me, hopefully we can do something with the opportunity we have now. The coaches, excited, all departed except me. I stayed behind, staring down at our roster trying to figure out what our team was going to be like, and looking over our recruiting reports. This was going to be a successful year, I could feel it.
Unread 04-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Low Minors

Recruiting
Weeks 1-3

Week One

As I sat in the backroom waiting for the other coaches to get here for our weekly meeting, I was thumbing through the list of recruits again. If I got what I wanted, this year was going to be quite fruitful for us.

On key, the rest of the coaches piled in, one after the other, along with our Athletic Director, Mr. Dotson. I’m not sure if I liked how involved he was getting with our team or not, but for now I decided to remain indifferent. Each Coach, besides Mr. Dostson, had a clipboard in their hands and a folder they brought to the meeting, just like I asked. Coach Sherman didn’t bring a pen, which defeated the purpose of having a clipboard… I lent him one. First thing we had to do, we evaluate our roster and come to a conclusion of which spots we wanted to focus on. Coach Guerra told me his crew was looking fine, that he wouldn’t need to be targeted yet except for his punter that was leaving.

Coach Chadwick was the next to chime up. He told us his areas of concern were really just Tight End, and maybe an Offensive Guard, but we could use additional help with our QB, WR, and Center. Coach Sherman mentioned on defense, we needed help with OLB and DT, but could use help with DE, ILB, CB, and FS. The only strong suit is our SS. I decided I liked Clayton Sherman a lot, and realized at Geneva our offense won us the game, but here I feel like if I could make-over this defense, we’d be unstoppable. Our offense will come as we grow, but if teams can’t score against us, they can’t win. I know it’s a bit of a different philosophy, but if I could find a Louis Jackson (FS) here like I did at Geneva, it could be the difference maker.

So that’s what I decided for the final, that I wanted to focus on, Defense. For our first 5 recruits I sent out invitations to come visit us, that OLB Bowling that sent me that email was first on the list. After that, I targeted a ridiculously athletic athlete, QB Varela, a TE Thomas, OG Campbell, and an Athletic WR Savage. I figured if I could perfect and nail my offense down in the first few weeks of recruiting, I’d have the rest of the draft to focus on defense. So of course I sent my coaches to scout them, along with some other main key players. CB Schroeder and Patterson and Lopez, Lopez was athletic and someone I had high hopes for, OLB K Smith, P Langley (to appease Coach Guerra), DE Waters was the only real person I had in my grasps to come here for Defensive End, so hopefully he’ll be able to perform. ILB Braden and FS White were also people who pinged my radar. RB Rivera was also very athletic, I’d like to see what he could do at TE though he’d be quite small for that position… or possibly even ILB. Our OG Henson, another person I was looking at is also quite athletic. I decided to give FS Taylor a shot as well, but I doubted anything would come of it. SS Sanchez I targeted just for depth, in case anything were to happen to our only strong player on our defense. TE Morey was a 6’7 monster who could be potentially huge (excuse the pun) should he take off. For Centers, the pool wasn’t great. I targeted White and Brown. For DT’s, I wound up targeting Lawson, Mckinley, and Holland. Lawson, in my opinion, was the better pick up, but not by much. I also targeted Rock and Rudd as two other ILBs that had potential. ILB Rodriguez was so close to their potential, I decided to take a shot on him too. CB Haskins won my vote too. With $5,000 left to play with, I decided to shoot over at offense. I added OG Wiley to the mix, WR Lewis and Stine and C Gibson. C Benjamin definitely caught my eye though.

Week Two

My scouts returned baring gifts… or well, news. From our main targets right now, here’s what our scouts found out:

Quote:
1. OLB Bowling – I scouted but got no results for… hmm.
2. QB Varela was interested in the Head Coach, and Location.
3. TE Thomas was interested in the Head Coach, and Team Prestige.
4. OG Campbell was interested in Team Prestige, and Location.
5. WR Savage was interested in Playing Time, and a Chance to Win.
I also decided to add 5 more people to our main target lists, and invited them to come visit. They are, WR Omalley, CB Schroeder, TE Morey, CB Patterson and Haskins. All but Omalley I had already scouted so the updated list looks like:

Quote:
1. OLB Bowling – I scouted but got nothing back.
2. QB Varela was interested in Location.
3. TE Thomas was interested in Location.
4. OG Campbell was interested in Location.
5. WR Savage was interested in Playing Time.
6. WR Omalley – Unknown
7. CB Schroeder – Team Prestige
8. TE Morey – Location
9. CB Patterson – Team Prestige, and Head Coach
10. CB Haskins – Playing Time
I was missing my CB Lopez, the one I favored, and CB Barajas was added to my desire to scout list, as well as C Benjamin from last week and of course, WR Omalley. CB Lopez I know desired Head Coach and Location. The rest don’t really matter for now. CB Lopez, FS Taylor, WR Lewis, OG Wiley, DT Mckinley, and FS White all are losing interest in playing for us. I’m not sure why we can’t seem to land a FS, as both of our scouted FS lost interest. We decided to give up FS White, but to continue pursuing FS Taylor who’s desire was for a Chance to Win. Hopefully that’s enough for us to win him over Florida, Tennessee, who he’s also considering. DT Lawson I actually sent an effort out to recruit this week as well.

Week Three

Quote:
1. OLB Bowling – Location
6. WR Omalley – Unknown
8. TE Morey – Location
11. CB Barajas –
12. SS Sanchez -
13. OLB Smith -
14. ILB Braden -
15. RB Rivera -
16. DT Lawson – Location
17. P Langley -
18. DT Romero -
19. OT Hughes -
20. ILB Rock -
Nothing really interesting happened this week, except for my list growing a lot bigger and not having the finances to reach out and try to recruit everybody on it. We were only able to get DT Lawson this week with a recruit offer. Hopefully this can pick up next week.

Unread 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Low Minors

Recruiting
Weeks 4 – 9

Week Four

Quote:
1. OLB Bowling – Location
6. WR Omalley – Unknown
8. TE Morey – Location
11. CB Barajas –
12. SS Sanchez -
13. OLB Smith -
14. ILB Braden – Playing Time
15. RB Rivera -
16. DT Lawson – Location
17. P Langley -
19. OT Hughes -
20. ILB Rock -
21. DT Cross -
22. ILB Waddell -
23. CB Hill -
24. WR Herrera -
25. OLB Mccarthy
26. OLB Lilly -
27. WR Steiner -
28. RB Platt -
29. CB Manning -
30. OG Serrano -
Well that was interesting. WR Stine, and DT Romero both failed to meet our Academic Standards, so were forcefully removed off the list. Stine we weren’t so hard on, but Romero was somebody we were looking forward to seeing play for us. FS Taylor wound up committing to Alabama, and we got nothing, again. We’re almost halfway through this draft with no commits, and still no money to go on. DT Cross was added to the list, as well as ILB Waddell, CB Hill, WR Herrera, and OLB Mccarthy. Moving past the next few weeks, people kept getting added, but nobody was responding to our own invitations and signing with us. Finally, we got our week from hell. OLB Bowling went to East Carolina, TE Thomas went to Arkansas State, along with CB Barajas and CB Manning. WR Steiner went to the Army, RB Platt settled for Louisiana-Monroe, WR Herrera went to Tulsa, OG Serrano went to Central Florida with ILB Waddell, CB Lopez broke my heart and left for Nevada, and OLB Lilly went to Troy. Oh and 0 people committed to FAU. New and improved list:

Quote:
8. TE Morey – Location
12. SS Sanchez -
13. OLB Smith - Location
15. RB Rivera -
19. OT Hughes – Scouted ***********
20. ILB Rock -
21. DT Cross – Scouted *****************
23. CB Hill -
25. OLB Mccarthy
26. OLB Lilly -
27. FS Blair – Scouted*************
28. ILB Weeks -
30. CB Clark -
31. OLB Williams -
32. OT Rios -
Week Seven

Again nobody has actually committed to us yet and as you can see, our list of targets have changed almost completely. Going into Week Eight, WR’s West and Omalley decided to go elsewhere, ILB Braden left, DT’s Morgan and Lawson left, FS White went somewhere, DT Holland left, P Langley committed to South Florida, and C Gibson went to Kentucky. Well then. QB Varela, RB Rivera, WR Savage, and TE Morey all committed to here. All offense has committed so far, this is not what I wanted. So far all we’ve gotten was a QB, RB, WR, and a TE, at least our offense is looking good!

Quote:
12. SS Sanchez – Style of Play
15. RB Rivera – Chance to Win
20. ILB Rock – Head Coach
21. DT Cross – Scouted *****************
23. CB Hill -
25. OLB Mccarthy – Head Coach
26. OLB Lilly -
28. ILB Weeks -
30. CB Clark -
31. OLB Williams -
32. CB Lopez -
33. ILB Robertson -
34. CB Smith -
36. DT Mckinley – Playing Time
37. DE Waters – Playing Time
38. OLB Bishop -
39. OLB Phillips
40. CB Montgomery -
41. QB Witherspoon -
42. OLB Wheeler -
43. FS Miller -
Week Eight

TE Anderson, OLB Smith, and FS Nelson all committed elsewhere. Adding people to the list but not having enough money to scout / recruit them, is starting to become frustrating. We moved on to our final week of recruiting, and with only an offensive line, I was starting to get intimidated. DT Mckinley committed this week, which means we at least got somebody, though looking over his profile, I am not sure I’d be safe to say he’s Louis Jackson worthy. But he’s somebody. As we finished our final week, we got the list of final recruits that signed with us. FS Everett signed with us the final week.

Quote:
The following recruits ended up coming to Florida Atlantic:

TE Jess Peterson, 2-stars
North Forsyth (Cumming, GA)
National Rank: 1430, Regional: 368, Position: 95

CB Reginald Coleman, 2-stars
Holmes CC (MS), Pensacola, FL, HS - FL
National Rank: 1616, Regional: 421, Position: 179

WR James Richardson, 2-stars
Rutherford (Springfield, FL)
National Rank: 1539, Regional: 399, Position: 198

ILB Jack Sandoval, 2-stars
St. Augustine (St. Augustine, FL)
National Rank: 1986, Regional: 510, Position: 135

DT James Mckinley, 1-stars
Calhoun (Calhoun, GA)
National Rank: 2970, Regional: 771, Position: 136

FS Brian Everett, 1-stars
Merritt Island (Merritt Island, FL)
National Rank: 2547, Regional: 651, Position: 69

QB Leslie Varela, 1-stars
St. John Neumann (Naples, FL)
National Rank: 2221, Regional: 571, Position: 190

WR Craig Olsen, 1-stars
Haralson County (Tallapoosa, GA)
National Rank: 1782, Regional: 463, Position: 220

WR James Savage, 1-stars
First Academy (Orlando, FL)
National Rank: 2633, Regional: 676, Position: 317

RB Russell Rivera, 1-stars
Homestead (Homestead, FL)
National Rank: 2731, Regional: 708, Position: 212

TE Rafael Morey, 1-stars
Edgewater (Orlando, FL)
National Rank: 2584, Regional: 662, Position: 164

OLB Isiah Edmonds, 1-stars
Washington (Miami, FL)
National Rank: 1805, Regional: 469, Position: 140

CB Forrest Dunn, 1-stars
Atlantic (Port Orange, FL)
National Rank: 1731, Regional: 451, Position: 193

OG William Brennan, 1-stars
Lakeland (Lakeland, FL)
National Rank: 1836, Regional: 476, Position: 132

DT Lewis Gonzalez, 1-stars
East Hall (Gainesville, GA)
National Rank: 2928, Regional: 758, Position: 132

K Adam Barton, 1-stars
Cascade (Wartrace, TN)
National Rank: 3435, Regional: 875, Position: 33
So we had 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 OG, 2 DT, 1 ILB, 1 OLB, 2 CB, 1 FS, and 1 K. I picked them carefully though, so we may have a good chance if we could get our offense off the ground this year or next. I’ll give a full preview later, when the other coaches return.
Unread 06-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Low Minors

NFL Draft Day

Sitting back and watching the NFL Draft with Coach Sherman and Coach Chadwick, and Coach Guerra was a lot of fun. It was interesting seeing my #1 pick out of the draft, QB Zimmerman a couple years ago now be ranked #1 draft pick of the NFL Draft. Keeping in touch with my roster last year, I found out:

QB Anthony Ware and Frank Silva was in the draft, Silva was actually rated higher than Ware!
OG Romero and Carranza both entered the draft.
DE Fernandez entered.
ILB Crow, a great ILB entered as well as OLB Fong. Both players I loved having on my team.
FS Louis Jackson, one of the greatest FS of all time in college football, in my opinion, entered.

While nobody from FAU entered, and probably won’t be for a really long time, if ever…. It’ll be interesting seeing where these picks go. When it was all said and done, only one player from Geneva got picked up in the draft, and that as of course, FS Jackson.

QB Marcus Zimmerman was drafted Round 1, Pick 3 to the Minnesota Vikings.
FS Louis Jackson was drafted Round 1, Pick 14 to the Seattle Seahawks.

So that makes our current roster in the NFL:
Quote:
QB James Givens – Kansas City Chiefs (4th String)
T Michael Cook – New Orleans Saints (Starter)
WR Russell Sears – Green Bay Packers (4th WR)
DT Steven Reynolds – Pittsburgh Steelers (3rd String)
FS Louis Jackson – Seattle Seahawks (Starter)
It’s interesting to note that none of our players have made it onto the same team yet. We’ll keep everyone update for how these players do, as well as any particular breaking news story, throughout the season.
Unread 07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Low Minors

Training Camp

I explained to them before, I don’t guarantee anyone’s positions until they prove to me they deserve to be there. I guess they thought I was kidding when I started moving some of the starters around. We held a coaches meeting and I explained to them, while I was satisfied with how our budget was planned out for the most part, I was going to use some of the money to focus on our scouting program. We need to have better scout results if we’re going to keep up having great drafts.

Talking to Coach Chadwick, he really liked the Smash Mouth offense. I can relate to his love for running, and I definitely wanted to play off of that, but we have to utilize some of our receivers who are coming around. One thing I knew, we definitely weren’t using that dreadful Option offense anymore. We decided collectively that Run n Gun would be the best option for us. Call me crazy, but I trust our offense. Coach Sherman liked the 3-4 defense a lot. I preferred the 3-3-5 because I don’t feel like we have the equipment at Defense necessary to stop a lot of offenses, at least not yet.

As quickly as I was about to dismiss the meeting, my phone rang. It was Buffalo Bulls head coach, wanting to play us week 2. We decided to move Houston Cougars to Week 1 so we can play Buffalo, and then I called Idaho Vandals for Week 3. We also managed to book Akron Zips for week 13. I know it looks like a relatively tough schedule adding in Idaho, Buffalo, and Akron… but like I said, I trust my team. The entire schedule was finished and laid out within the next couple of weeks, this is what it looks like:

Quote:
Week 1 – Houston
Week 2 – Buffalo
Week 3 – at Idaho
Week 4 – Louisiana-LAF
Week 5 - Bye
Week 6 – at Louisiana Tech
Week 7 – North Texas
Week 8 – Southern Miss
Week 9 – at Louisiana-Monroe
Week 10 – Bye
Week 11 – Arkansas State
Week 12 – at Troy
Week 13 – Akron
Week 14 – at Florida Int.
Week 15 – Bye.
My projections is that we win the first two games, lose to Idaho, win the next two, lose to North Texas and Southern Miss, win over ULM, lose to Arkansas State and Troy, win over Akron and escape with a win over Florida International. We should have a 7-5 year though that might seem like a lot to ask, seeing as how this program hasn’t had a winning year since their first year, and that was only 6-5. But as I’ve always said, there’s only one way to find out…

But before we can do that, I’ve got to figure out who I want to redshirt this year. FS Johnson from the draft is redshirting this year, though next year I fancy that he’ll be starting. Drafted CB Hill will be redshirting, ILB Weeks is also redshirting. Walk-on TE Ratliff will be redshirting this year as well.
Unread 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Low Minors

Our Roster

Watching our players lifting weights and running drills put a smile on all of our faces, as all the coaches sat around the table in our Coaches Meeting Room. Soon it would be time to talk starting positions, which is something all of the other coaches were interested in seeing me do. I decided to take a look at our roster and depth charts. First, I pulled Coach Chadwick over for the offense.

On offense we had 4 year Junior Walker leading it as the QB, with JR RB Smith, SR’s Nelson at FB and StPierre at WR. We then had JR Scott at second WR, and 4th Year JR Bailer as TE. For the offensive lines, we had JR Barnett and 3rd year SO Nelson, and at guards we had SR’s Bauer and Clark. Bauer is a 5th year SR. Under C was JR Thompson. Overall we had 4 average players, a halfback, a wide out and 2 OT’s. We had 6 below average players and 1 poor player at TE. I wanted to make note that through training camp, the only people secured of their position in my eyes so far are Smith, Scott, Barnett and Nelson.

For the offensive line first: OG Lyons is transferring here next semester so he’ll be able to take over one of the Seniors spots next year, and recruited rookie Brennan should take the other one if he performs the way I think he will. Hopefully next year I’ll be able to bring in a good enough Center to do the job if Thompson fails this season. I’m okay with Walker leading the pack this year, although next year I’m expecting our recruit Varela to step up to the challenge and dethrone Walker… for now Varela will be redshirted. RB Recruited Rivera will be taking over Smith’s spot once he leaves in 2 years, but this year he’ll be redshirted. Next year we’ll see what Rivera could do. For the WR spot, Scott has secured his place, while Recruit Richardson and SR StPierre will be fighting for 2nd and 3rd string. I’ll probably end up giving it to StPierre just because it’s his final year, letting Richardson get 3rd slot touches. Other recruits Savage and Olsen will be redshirted, though next year they should present a problem… a good one.

On defense, this is where I saw us really struggle last year when I watched over the tapes. With only three average players, two of them being on special teams, I knew something had to be done. First off was our horrendous line, which had SR DT Estrada, SO’s DE Beltran, and DT Murray and Redshirted Freshman DE Curry. Our DE’s had a lot of potential if they lived up to it, but our DT’s struggled a lot last year. So I brought in two recruits who will be redshirted this year, who I’m hoping will be able to take over the DT’s spots next year. SO ILB May was doing a below average job, one that the previous coach was content with. Well I’m not that coach, and I’m not okay with that type of work, so I had May and Gibson both fighting for the ILB slot, while rookie Sandoval will redshirt this year. I fully expect him as well to take over the position next year.

OLB SR’s Hay and Perry weren’t impressing anyone either. I actually expect recruited freshman Edmonds to steal Hay’s spot this year during training camp. CB’s Gonzalez and Jones did an average job last year, but weren’t going to cut the cake if we were going to stop WR’s from doing us dirty. So I brought in recruit CB’s, Dunn and Junior CB Coleman from junior college. Both I expect to steal the starting job by the end of camp. I brought in FS Everett from recruitment to redshirt this year, hopefully he’ll be starting next year over current starter Masterson. I brought in a kicker from recruitment, Barton and had him move over to the punter position. To my surprise, he’s making an impression on everyone in training camp, and he has a good chance of starting over SR Shelton who he was brought in to back up for.

Training Camp Begins

As we go through the training camp, I’ve made a list to show you how the position battles are going. Starters automatically receive 5 points, and others get a point for each good activity they do during the week, and each bad activity they do they deduct a point.

Quote:
QB:
Starter Walker = 5
Recruit Varela = 0
Redshirted Freshman Wright = 0

HB:
Starter Smith = 5
Recruit Rivera = 0

FB:
Starter Nelson = 5
SR Boone = 0
JR Ryan = 0

WR:
Starter StPierre = 5
Starter Scott = 5
Recruit Savage = 0
Recruit Olsen = 0
Recruit Richardson = 0

TE:
Starter Bailey = 5
Recruit Morey = 0
Recruit Peterson = 0

OG:
Starter Clark = 5
Starter Bauer = 5
Recruit Brennan = 0

DT:
Starter Estrada = 5
Starter Murray = 5
Recruit McKinley = 0
Recruit Gonzalez = 0

ILB:
Starter May = 5
Redshirted Junior Gibson = 0
Recruit Sandoval = 0

OLB:
Starter Perry = 5
Starter Hay = 5
Recruit Edmonds = 0

CB:
Starter Gonzalez = 5
Starter Jones =5
SR Perkins = 0
JR Small = 0
JR Recruit Coleman = 0
Recruit Dunn = 0

Safeties:
Starter FS Masterson = 5
Starter SS Ingram = 5
Recruit FS Everett = 0
SR SS Copeland = 0

Punter:
Starter Shelton = 5
Recruit Barton = 0

Training Camp Week 1

QB Varela has dominated, while QB Walker has had a tough time keeping up this week. My worry about C Thompson not living up to expectations was put to rest pretty quickly this week, as he’s shown heart and determination to play to the best of his ability and leave everything he’s got on that field. The talk between him and our OC must have been a good one. Punter Barton has dominated his portion of the punts, to a point where he may quickly become one of the best punters I’ve ever seen in college, and that says a lot. Rookie FS Everett has been less than steller, being burned several times in the backfield this week. CB Coleman is showing himself to be a shut down corner, dominating the competition. ILB Sandoval is becoming a tough competitor to compete against, shutting down the potentially long runs. TE Bailey seems to be deteriorating as he plays, while Morey and Peterson are both making a run for his position. Here are the current standings: Nobody has been eliminated yet.

Quote:
QB:
Starter Walker = 4
Recruit Varela = 3
Redshirted Freshman Wright = -1

HB:
Starter Smith = 6
Recruit Rivera = 2

FB:
Starter Nelson = 6
SR Boone = 0
JR Ryan = 0

WR:
Starter StPierre = 4
Starter Scott = 4
Recruit Savage = 0
Recruit Olsen = 1
Recruit Richardson = 1

TE:
Starter Bailey = 3
Recruit Morey = 2
Recruit Peterson = 2

OG:
Starter Clark = 6
Starter Bauer = 4
Recruit Brennan = 2

DT:
Starter Estrada = 6
Starter Murray = 3
Recruit McKinley = 2
Recruit Gonzalez = 1

ILB:
Starter May = 4
Redshirted Junior Gibson = 0
Recruit Sandoval = 3

OLB:
Starter Perry = 6
Starter Hay = 4
Recruit Edmonds = 2

CB:
Starter Gonzalez = 4
Starter Jones =6
SR Perkins = 2
JR Small = 1
JR Recruit Coleman = 3
Recruit Dunn = 1

Safeties:
Starter FS Masterson = 6
Starter SS Ingram = 7
SR SS Copeland = 1
Recruit FS Everett = -2

Punter:
Starter Shelton = 6
Recruit Barton = 4
Training Camp Week’s 2 and 3

These weeks we saw some major changes! I showed I wasn’t kidding this week and started taking people’s jobs away, and other people’s chances of playing, left and right. People were starting to become apathetic, and I cannot deal with apathy, so I made a mark on them and the results were worth it. QB Walker was close to being dethroned already, with Varela matching him during practice. Wright was eliminated from the QB competition. FB Nelson showed he deserved to be there, so I ended that race as well. WR Richardson was close to taking Scott’s place if it wasn’t for a dropped pass, while StPierre is slowly dwindling between average and below average. WR Olsen is slowly gaining traction while the other recruit, WR Savage slowly made his name known. TE Peterson blew up this week, while Bailey was demoted and taken out of the race altogether. OG Brennan is fighting OG Bauer for his job currently while Clark is set in stone now. ILB Gibson was taken out of the race altogether, while May and Sandoval are fighting to start. OLB Perry locked in his starting spot, while Edmonds is trying to close in on Hay but is losing the battle for the moment. CB Small was taken out of the running this week as well, while Coleman dominated, Dunn increased, Perkins remained the same, and Jones and Gonzalez stayed where they need to be. FS Everett was not doing well, so I moved him to SS to see how he’d play and sure enough, he started to be a dominate force! P Barton continued to make waves.

Quote:
QB:
Starter Walker = 4
Recruit Varela = 4

HB:
Starter Smith = 7
Recruit Rivera = 3

WR:
Starter StPierre = 5
Starter Scott = 3
Recruit Richardson = 3
Recruit Olsen = 2
Recruit Savage = 1

TE:
Recruit Peterson = 5
Recruit Morey = 2

OG:
Starter Bauer = 3
Recruit Brennan = 3

DT:
Starter Estrada = 7
Starter Murray = 3
Recruit McKinley = 3
Recruit Gonzalez = 2

ILB:
Starter May = 3
Recruit Sandoval = 3

OLB:
Starter Hay = 4
Recruit Edmonds = 3

CB:
Starter Gonzalez = 5
Starter Jones = 5
SR Perkins = 2
JR Recruit Coleman = 5
Recruit Dunn = 2

Safeties:
Starter FS Masterson = 5
Starter SS Ingram = 8
Recruit SS Everett = 1
SR SS Copeland = 0

Punter:
Starter Shelton = 5
Recruit Barton = 4
Also during this week, Preseason Week 1 happened in the NFL. Here’s what the News Articles had to say about my guys.

James Givens: QB Givens did not play at all in Kansas City Chiefs 51-12 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

Michael Cook: T Cook had 2 pancakes and allowed 1 sack in the New Orleans Saints 27-17 loss to the Chargers.

Russell Sears: WR Sears and the Green Bay Packers lost, 14-9 to the Carolina Panthers, while WR Sears had 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Steven Reynolds: DT Reynolds did not play on Sunday’s game with the Pittsburgh Steelers as they won, 24-20 against the San Francisco 49ers.

Louis Jackson: Seattle Seahawks defeated the Cleveland Browns, 26-22 and FS Jackson had 3 tackles during the game.
Unread 08-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Low Minors

Training Camp Week 4

This week was a doozer! There’s only 6 weeks technically in the training camp, so it’s starting to near the end of calling for starters. QB Varela is pretty clearly earning the starting position, and is 1 point away from claiming it. HB Smith has earned it officially with 7 points. WR Starter Scott was taken out of the race when he went down with an ankle injury, as Richardson blowing up again this week means he can claim now that he is officially one of the starters. The second spot is still up for grabs. TE Peterson earned the starting role as well. OG Brennan seems to have beaten Bauer for the spot, but it is not official yet. DT Gonzalez has been eliminated, while Murray and McKinley fight for the second DT spot, as Estrada claims the first. The ILB race is close, with Sandoval slowly pulling ahead. Meanwhile OLB Edmonds has closed the gap in the race between him and Hay. CB Perkins was eliminated, while the rest of the race has become tighter than you’d expect. Safeties Ingram and Masterson both has earned their right to keep their starting positions. Meanwhile P Barton is still taking off…

Quote:
QB:
Starter Walker = 2
Recruit Varela = 6

WR:
Starter StPierre = 3
Recruit Olsen = 3
Recruit Savage = 2

OG:
Recruit Brennan = 5
Starter Bauer = 2

DT:
Starter Murray = 3
Recruit McKinley = 3

ILB:
Recruit Sandoval = 4
Starter May = 3

OLB:
Starter Hay = 4
Recruit Edmonds = 4

CB:
Starter Gonzalez = 5
Starter Jones = 5
JR Recruit Coleman = 5
Recruit Dunn = 4

Punter:
Recruit Barton = 6
Starter Shelton = 3
Training Camp Week 5

With it almost nearing the final week of the camp, position battles is starting to be decided at an incredible pace. QB Varela was officially named the starter. WR StPierre was out of the race for WR#2, and Olsen was pulling ahead over Savage. OG Brennan was named the starter as well, over Bauer. DT McKinley was pulling ahead of Murray now, by a good margin but still was not yet announced the starter. ILB Sandoval was officially announced the starter over May, while OLB Edmonds wasn’t announced it yet though he has been pulling ahead in training camp. CB Coleman has earned the starting spot, while Jones was knocked out of the race. Gonzalez and Dunn are neck to neck in it so far. P Barton, to nobody’s surprise, claimed the starting spot. Here’s what a look at our dwindling position battles look like.

Quote:
WR:
Recruit Olsen = 5
Recruit Savage = 3

DT:
Recruit McKinley = 6
Starter Murray = 2

OLB:
Recruit Edmonds = 5
Starter Hay = 2

CB:
Starter Gonzalez = 4
Recruit Dunn = 4
Week Six

WR Olsen claimed his spot starting, DT McKinley won his, OLB Edmonds won his, and though it was close, CB Dunn pulled ahead to earn his starting spot. Meanwhile during a conference call with the staff at FAU, I was told everybody had high hopes now that I was here. They expected to win the Sun Belt and come in 2nd in our conference. In our team meeting after the call, I announced our new game plans. For offense, we’ll be running a Smash Mouth since Coach Chadwick has the most experience with that and knows how to work with that. On defense, of course we’re going to be running a 3-4, for the exact same reasons with Coach Sherman. We have weaknesses in both of those set ups that we’re going to have to develop and overcome as the season goes on. During the scheduling for the out of conference games this season, we made a deal with Akron for Week 15, Eastern Michigan wanted to play us Week 2, and we asked to play the Houston Cougars Week 1. We sent an invitation to the Buffalo Bulls but they declined it so we accepted Toledo’s offer for Week 3 instead. So here’s a preview of what our schedule looks like:

Quote:
Week 1 – Houston
Week 2 – at Eastern Michigan
Week 3 – Toledo
Week 4 – Louisiana-Laf *
Week 5 – Bye
Week 6 – at Louisiana-Tech *
Week 7 – North Texas *
Week 8 – at Ohio
Week 9 – at Louisiana-Monroe *
Week 10 – Bye
Week 11- Arkansas State*
Week 12 – at Troy *
Week 13 – Bye
Week 14 – at Florida International *
Week 15 – Akron
Looking over this schedule shows us that we’re in for quite the ride this year. The stars represent conference games. Houston we should win, Eastern Michigan is a toss up, I’d say we might lose, then we’ll be able to beat Toledo with a close game, Louisiana-Laf and Louisiana-Tech. North Texas should beat us, as well as Ohio and Louisiana Monroe. Arkansas State will be a tough challenge and I think they will pull off the win, then we can come back to defeat Troy, losing to Florida Int, and then finally ending with a win against Akron. I’m predicting an incredible 6-6 our first year, a huge bounce up from 3-9 last year.
Unread 09-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Awesome read, man. Can you go into how you gameplan a bit? You're having way more success with lesser players than I have with top recruits.
Unread 09-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Low Minors

Actually, it's mostly gameplanning. It's amazing how much effect it has and calling the plays as well. Finding where the defense is weak, and attacking it with everything you have. Sometimes you have to demote your starters to the 2nd and 3rd spots in order to pair them up against the defense accordingly. I've started to avoid doing that now, just because in real life that's not how it would work. However, that's how I was winning a bunch of games at that moment. Now however, from the seasons I've gone through already that I haven't posted, I can assure you even without trying to cheat the system you can still dominate. When you find the weak spots and you apply the pressure there, it's easy to push through with a win or some incredible stats off the match up. Thanks by the way for the compliments, I read it a while ago but it took me a little longer to write up the next few write ups... unfortunately with how little people are actually reading here, I probably won't keep up the writing as much as I have lately. Unless of course, I knew people were reading lol.

FAU Game One

Week 1:
(0-0) Houston vs. (0-0) Florida Atlantic

After a rough training camp, and a rigorous schedule, the team was ready to go out and play their first game. The amount of fans that showed up, 13,231 was astounding. Last year they had nearly half of those as regulars, and only a little more (9,420) was their top attendance record last year. The crowd is obviously pretty excited with me as their coach, I just hope my team can live up to their hype. We took the field to the sound of cheers, and awaited the kickoff.

First Quarter:

FAU 40: The kickoff was far, but a piling on penalty on Houston gave us better field positioning, and we took it at our 40 yard line. 1st down, QB Varela launches a deep pass, but it’s incomplete. 2nd down, the handoff to RB Smith is botched and they are tackled behind the line for a loss of one. 3rd down, we hand it to our FB Nelson, for no gain. P Barton punts the ball for 4th and 11, and it lands on the Houston 3! What a great punt!

HOU 3: 1st down they try and run the ball, and get 3 yards. 2nd and 7, they try to run it again and get 1 yard. 3rd and 6, our defense breaks down his offensive line and forces an incomplete pass. WR StPierre receives the punt, and runs it back to the Houston 30! 1st and 10, QB Varela hands it to RB Smith for about a yard. 2nd and 9, another running play to RB Smith gains another yard. 3rd and 8, QB Varela tries to throw it toward the sidelines but it’s overthrown, incomplete. K Dunlap tries for a 46 yard field goal, but misses! I’m obviously starting to get frustrated with our lack of offense.

HOU 28: 1st and 10, they try to run the ball but DE Beltran stops them for a loss of 4! 2nd and 14, they look to throw it but again our defensive line breaks down their offensive line and we force the QB to throw it incomplete. 3rd and 14 now, and the QB can’t find anyone open, incomplete pass. They punt it on 4th down, and WR Scott returns it 4 yards to the FAU 37.

FAU 37: 1st and 10, QB Varela finds WR Olsen who breaks free for 12 yards. 1st and 10 at the FAU 49, RB Smith gets a handoff and gains 3 yards on the play. 2nd and 7, FB Nelson gets the ball this time, and gains 5 yards. 3rd and 2, QB Varela fakes the pass and hands it to RB Smith who gains 4 yards and the first down! 1st and 10 at the HOU 39, QB Varela is sacked for a loss of 2. 2nd and 12, WR Richardson on the reverse, runs it for about 6 yards before getting stopped. C Thompson has to come out of the game due to his ankle, hopefully the doctors can get him back out there. 3rd and 6, RB Smith takes it up the gut for 3 yards. K Dunlap lines up for the 50 yard field goal, and it’s good! The score is Florida Atlantic 3, Houston 0. The kickoff puts them at the 20 after a touchback.

HOU 20: 1st and 10, they run the ball for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, our DE’s get to the QB and make him rush the throw, incomplete pass. 3rd and 6, they make a remarkable pass for 32 yards. 1st and 10, they try to run the ball but DT Mckinley is there for a loss of 3. 2nd and 13, a missed pass interference call saved us from a potential touchdown, incomplete pass. 3rd and 13, their QB is on fire, as they gain another 38 yards from their pass. 1st and 10 on FAU 9, they run the ball for a gain of 2. 2nd and 8, they try to run again but this time are taken down for a loss of 4. 3rd and goal at the FAU 11, the QB has nowhere to go and throws it out of bounds, but the referee calls it intentional grounding! 4th and goal at the FAU 23 now and they are forced to kick a field goal. However, during their field goal, FB Boone jumps up and blocks it! DE Ware recovers it and runs it to the FAU 27 for 11 yards! Our defense made an incredible goal line stop, and then the field goal block made the fans ignite with passion!

(2:41) FAU 27: 1st and 10, incomplete pass by QB Varela. 2nd and 10, QB Varela makes a terrible pass down the middle and gets it intercepted!

(2:19) FAU 39: Our defense needs to make another tough stop, and they aren’t put in the best of field position. 1st and 10, a run brings them 2 yards. 2nd and 8, pass play for 6 yards. 3rd and 2, another run play but DE Curry makes a huge stop for only 1 gain! 4th and 1, they attempt the field goal for 48 yards and it’s good, to tie the game! The score is Florida Atlantic 3, Houston 3.

(0:42) FAU 48: CB Coleman gets the kickoff, and returns it for 35 yards, but a piling on call against Houston again tacks another 15 yards onto the play and we get it on the 48! 1st and 10, QB Varela again overthrows his receiver and it’s incomplete. 2nd and 10, RB Smith runs the ball for 4 yards and that’s the end of the 1st quarter with the score tied, 3-3.

Second Quarter:

We’re doing good but we just have to keep it up, and our offense desperately needs to do something here. We don’t have long in the time out, but I explained to them I have faith in them, and look around… this crowd obviously does too.

HOU 48: 3rd and 6, RB Smith gets the ball again and runs it up the gut for 1 yard. P Barton comes out and kicks it out of the end zone, for a touchback.

HOU 20: 1st and 10, they run the ball and ILB May stops them for a gain of 1. 2nd and 9, incomplete pass due to the receiver cutting off the route, we got lucky again there. 3rd and 9, a screen pass gets them 14 yards. 1st and 10 on HOU 35, quick pass for a gain of 3. Our defense put pressure on him with the rush, but still can’t get to him to sack him. 2nd and 7, a pass for 5 yards, and again our defense breaks down their offensive line. 3rd and 2, SS Ingram nails a hard hit on their running back for a loss of 3. 4th and 5, they punt the ball for no return at our own 23 yard line.

FAU 23: 1st and 10, RB Smith gets 3 yards on the run. 2nd and 7, QB Varela finds WR Richardson for 2. 3rd and 5, another run by RB Smith gets 6 yards and the first down. FAU 34, 1st and 10 sees RB Smith take it up the middle for a gain of 11 yards and another first down! On our 45 yard line, 1st and 10, a false start pushes us back 5 yards. 1st and 15, QB Varela does a quick pass to TE Peterson for 1 yard. 2nd and 14, pass to WR Olsen for 2 yards. C Thompson was back in the game at the beginning of this quarter, but now it’s OG Clark who’s out with an injury to his finger. He’s out for the rest of the game. 3rd and 12, QB Varela gets sacked for a loss of 4. 4th and 16 sees P Barton punting, a great punt to the Houston 9.

(8:03) 1st and 10, ILB Sandoval gets a good hit for a loss of 1 on their running play. 2nd and 11, pass incomplete. 3rd and 11, DE Beltran nails the QB in the pocket sacking him, and making him fumble the ball! But it’s recovered by Houston for a loss of 4. On 4th and 15, they punt it to WR Scott who runs it back to the Houston 36.

(6:44) 1st and 10, RB Smith takes it up the gut but is stopped short of the line of scrimmage for a loss of 1 yard. 2nd and 11, screen pass to RB Smith for 12 yards and a first down! On the Houston 25, 1st and 10, the crowd is getting excited as QB Varela almost gets sacked but sidesteps him, and finds WR Olsen for 13 yards! 1st and 10 on the Houston 12, FB Nelson runs the ball for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, pitch to RB Smith for 5 yards. 3rd and 4, FB Nelson runs it up the middle for a gain of 3. 4th and 1, K Dunlap knocks in a 21 yard field goal. The score is Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 3. We kick the ball off and Houston gets it at their 7 yard line.

(3:50) 1st and 10, they run the ball for 4 yards. 2nd and 6, they run it again for 3 yards. 3rd and 3, they run it yet again, and this time gets 6 yards out of it and a first down. 1st and 10 on their own 20, and they run it up the middle for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, incomplete pass. 3rd and 5, they pass it for 8 yards. 1st and 10 on HOU 33, a 39 yard pass later and they are on the FAU 28 with 1:21 to go in the quarter. 1st and 10, pass outside for 7 yards. 2nd and 3, a 21 yard pass is good and it’s a touchdown. The extra point is good, and the score is now Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 10. The kickoff brings FAU to their own 17.

(0:44) FAU 17, 1st and 10, screen pass to TE Peterson gets us 11 yards. (0:33) FAU 28, 1st and 10, QB Varela runs the ball up the middle on the option play, for no gain. (0:18) FAU 28, 2nd and 10, QB Varela takes a knee to end the half with the score Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 10.

Third Quarter:

Kickoff is good to Houston at their 16. 1st and 10, pass broken up and incomplete. 2nd and 10, handoff for 3 yards. 3rd and 7, another handoff gets them 7 yards and a first down. 1st and 10, pass to the outside for 5 yards. 2nd and 5, another pass this time for 1 yard. 3rd and 4, OLB Perry nails their wide receiver hard after catching the ball and makes him fumble! He jumps on the ball quickly and recovers it for FAU!

HOU 42, 1st and 10, this is our first drive after halftime. Hopefully the halftime speech meant something to them, and we’ll see them start to work together on offense, instead we get a false start. 1st and 15, QB Varela is sacked again, 2nd time this game, for a loss of 6 yards. 2nd and 21, quick pass to WR Olsen for 9 yards. 3rd and 12, QB Varela is sacked, 3rd time this game, 2nd time this possession, for a loss of 3. 4th and 15, P Barton makes a third amazing punt to the Houston 3.

HOU 3: 1st and 10, quick pass for 1 yard gain. 2nd and 9, a reverse play gets them another 9 yards. 1st and 10, long pass downfield for 23 yards. HOU 36, 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, another incomplete pass. 3rd and 10, their QB forces the pass off, and SS Copeland is there to intercept it!

FAU 30, 1st and 10, RB Smith goes up the middle for 9 yards. 2nd and 1, QB Varela gets sacked for the 4th time, for a loss of 1. 3rd and 2, RB Smith runs it back up the middle for a gain of 7 and a first down. FAU 45, 1st and 10, RB Smith gets no gain on this run. 2nd and 10, RB Williams is in for Smith, but also gets no gain on his run. 3rd and 10, QB Varela finds WR Richardson for 13 yards and a much needed first down. HOU 42, 1st and 10, RB Williams gets a gain of 1 yard but TE Richardson gets an unnecessary roughness call on him for 15 yards. 2nd and 24, RB Smith gets stopped on this run play for a loss of 3 yards. 3rd and 27, QB Varela throws the ball incomplete deep down the field. 4th and 27, and P Barton is back out there, and punts the ball to the Houston 22.

HOU 22: 1st and 10, run play for a gain of 3. 2nd and 7, another run play this time for 1 yard. 3rd and 6, delay of game on the offense, 5 yard penalty. 3rd and 11, a pass to the outside for 13 yards. 1st and 10 on HOU 34, they run the ball for 1 yard. 2nd and 9, a huge pass down the middle but CB Dunn sneaks up after the play and lands a huge hit, forcing another fumble! Dunn lands on top of the ball and pulls it in to recover it!

(3:21) HOU 43: 1st and 10, RB Smith runs it to the outside for 4 yards! 2nd and 6, quick pass to the outside for a gain of 1 yard. 3rd and 5, screen pass to TE Peterson, who bursts down the field for 12 yards! (2:02) 1st and 10 on HOU 26, RB Smith runs it up the middle for 1 yard. Handoff to WR Richardson for a gain of 7! 3rd and 2 on the HOU 18, QB Varela sets up the screen but the pass is dropped by TE Peterson! 4th and 2 and we have to settle for a field goal. K Dunlap is ready to kick the 36 yard field goal, but he misses! Wait, the referees call holding on Houston! Automatic 10 yards and a first down! (0:21) 1st and 10 on the HOU 9! Pass to WR Richardson by QB Varela for 2 yards. (0:14) 2nd and goal on the 7, handoff to FB Nelson who gets a gain of 4 yards! That’s the end of the 3rd Quarter, Florida Atlantic 6, Houston 10.

Fourth Quarter:

3rd and goal on the Houston 3, and it’s a broken play! QB Varela runs it himself, slips a couple defenders and dives forward… and he gets it! A gain of 3 yards and a touchdown to open the 4th quarter! K Dunlap seals the deal, kicking the extra point in! The score is now Florida Atlantic 13, Houston 10. We kick the ball off but they get a good run back to the Houston 34.

HOU 34: 1st and 10, they fake a run and launch a pass downfield for 16 yards. 50 yard line, 1st and 10, another pass with plenty of time to throw it, for 10 yards. FAU 40, 1st and 10, a 1 yard pass gets them nothing, but ILB May gets called for pass interference! A terrible call, puts them on our 39 with another 1st down. 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, launches it downfield, but it’s picked off by CB Dunn! Dunn returns it 19 yards! Freshman Dunn now has two incredible plays, a forced fumble, and now an interception for this game!

(12:31) 1st and 10 on the Houston 44. RB Smith runs it up the middle for a gain of 1. 2nd and 9, incomplete pass but a holding call on us sets us back 10 yards. 2nd and 19 on our own 47 now puts us out of field goal range, but QB Varela makes a good decision to put us back in, by passing to WR Olsen for 11 yards. 3rd and 8 on HOU 42, QB Varela fakes a handoff to his RB and finds FB Nelson wide open for a gain of 18! (11:01) 1st and 10 on HOU 24, QB Varela looking for WR Richardson but throws the ball a bit too high for an incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, reverse to WR Richardson but is tackled in the backfield for a loss of 3 yards. 3rd and 13, incomplete pass to WR Richardson after getting hit as he throws, and Richardson getting hit as he tried to make the catch. 4th and 13, K Dunlap takes the field, and kicks the 45 yard field goal perfectly through the goal posts for another 3 points! The score is Florida Atlantic 16, Houston 10. So far on two of our drives in the 4th, both ended by putting points on the board. We kick the ball off to Houston who get a touchback.

(9:25) HOU 20, 1st and 10, Houston gets called for a false start. 1st and 15, DE Beltran makes himself known again, sacking the QB hard for a loss of 5 yards! Beltran is the only one who’s been able to sack their QB, and he’s done it twice! 2nd and 20 from their own 10, and it’s an incomplete pass. 3rd and 20, another incomplete pass brings up 4th down. 4th and 20, they punt the ball and WR Scott runs it back to the FAU 46.

(8:19) FAU 46, 1st and 10, RB Smith runs it with his blockers to the outside for a gain of 7. 2nd and 3, QB Varela finds WR Olsen has beat his man and places the ball perfectly for Olsen to catch it in stride, and with the footrace to the end zone, Olsen wins and gets a touchdown with a 47 yard play! We try for a 2 point conversion to put us up by two touchdowns, but it’s no good. The score is Florida Atlantic 22, Houston 10. We kickoff to Houston, who returns it 37 yards out of the end zone.

(7:16) HOU 37, 1st and 10, incomplete pass. 2nd and 10, another incomplete pass. 3rd and 10, DT Mckinley gets to the QB, but the QB throws it… but the referee calls it a sack saying his knee was down! A loss of 3 on that play! 4th and 13, and they punt the ball to the FAU 23.

(6:00) FAU 23: 1st and 10, QB Varela tries with WR Olsen again, but it’s incomplete. 2nd and 10, RB Smith runs it up the middle for a gain of 8 yards! 3rd and 2, RB Smith takes it up the middle again, is stopped at the goal line and has to push forward, and gets it! 2 yards and a 1st down! (5:02) 1st and 10 on the FAU 33, QB Varela finds WR Richardson open down the field, but the referee says he didn’t have one foot in bound when he caught the ball. 2nd and 10, QB Varela sees WR Olsen wide open, but can’t get the ball off before he’s sacked for the 5th time for a loss of 6 but a flag is down. Offensive Pass Interference, for another 15 yards. (4:14) 3rd and 16 from our own 27. Fake handoff, QB Varela passes WR Richardson who picks up 15 yards making it 4th and 1 on our 42. P Barton comes onto the field and punts it to the Houston 11.

(3:22) HOU 11: 1st and 10, they run the ball for a 3 yard gain. 2nd and 7, a quick pass for 1 yard. 3rd and 6, another quick pass goes for 10 yards and a first down. (2:19) 1st and 10 on their own 25. They pass it to the outside, but their TE fails to make the catch, incomplete. (1:58, 2 minute warning.) 2nd and 10, we get pressure on the QB and force him to make a bad throw for an incomplete pass. 3rd and 10, they get a nice catch for a gain of 17 yards. (1:28) HOU 42, 1st and 10, 6 yard pass complete. Houston calls a time out at (1:04). 2nd and 4 on HOU 48, our defense applies the pressure to the QB again, but his WR drops his well placed pass to make it another incomplete pass. (0:57) 3rd and 4, another pressure filled defense catches the QB by surprise, but he connects a perfect pass to his WR, who again, drops it! (0:50) 4th and 4, our stadium has stood up to their feet, waiting expectantly cheering us on. They try for a quick pass and it’s caught, but CB Dunn saves the game by nailing him right in front of the first down marker, for a gain of 3! It’s a turnover on downs!

(0:43) FAU 49, 1st and 10, and QB Varela takes a knee. Houston calls their second timeout. (0:41) 2nd and 12, QB Varela takes another knee, and again Houston calls their last and final timeout. (0:38) 3rd and 14, QB Varela takes a knee but the clock leaves 8 seconds left, so P Barton comes out and punts it on 4th and 16, high and long, and by the time it hits outside the end zone, the 8 seconds are gone and the game is over! Final Score is Florida Atlantic 22, Houston 10.

Freshman QB Varela threw 16/27 for 181 yards, 1 touchdown, and 1 interception and ran it in for 1 touchdown.
RB Smith ran 24 times for 76 yards and 0 touchdowns.
Freshman WR Olsen caught 6 balls out of 8 targets for 94 yards and a touchdown.
Freshman WR Richardson led the pack however with 11 targets, but only 4 receptions for 32 yards and 3 runs for 10 yards.

The player(s) of the game, and the first time I’ve ever awarded the P.O.G. award to two people, go to our two amazing defensive players. 1st up is Freshman CB Forrest Dunn, with 3 tackles, 2 assists, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, and 2 pass deflections. Stopping them on a critical 4th down to end the game also really helped his team win. 2nd up would be Sophmore DE Donald Beltran who came up with 3 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 stuff, 1 hurry, 1 deflected pass, and 1 forced fumble. He was all over the field, and nobody from Houston was safe from him when he was in. Both men were truly a force to be reckoned with, and I look forward to seeing how they play from here on out.

Next week, we’re up against the Eastern Michigan Eagles. Eastern Michigan is coming off of a loss to tough opponent, East Carolina. ECU would probably defeat us as well right now, so that’s not saying much against EMU. However, even against ECU, their secondary was incredible. They were able to limit ECU’s passing game to just 136 passing yards and they are currently ranked #54 against the pass nationally. It’ll be interesting to see how WR Olsen, WR Richardson, and QB Varela fair against the pass. Luckily we have RB Smith and RB Williams to switch it up and run the ball on them. My projections are that RB Smith will have a huge game next week, especially if we want to win.

Quote:
The Owl Hoot:

Florida Atlantic Owls defeated the Houston Cougars yesterday, with a come from behind victory! It looked like Houston was going to defeat our home town heroes on our own field, leading 10-0 going into the 4th quarter. Then QB Varela and his coach, our new head coach, Geno Demarco, led his team to an inspiring 16 unanswered points to take their first game of the season and make it a win. By the end of the game, the entire stadium was standing on their feet, cheering this new team on under their new head coach. Could this be a sign of things to come? We certainly hope so!

Senior Journalist Major, Justin Christopher had this to say. “Out of all 4 years here, and 2 years at my community college, I have never seen such an exciting game. Like a lot of my friends here, we just about had given up on our football team, and under that new coach they have, Coach Demarco, I think we all have found this new hope. This guy is for real, and more importantly, this team… my team is for real.”

For now, this is Donald Avery saying have a hoot night!
Unread 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Low Minors

This is very good. You should keep doing it