Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Grey Dog Software Think Tank > Mafia games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Super Star

Default 2010 GDS Scummie Awards -- BALLOT

2010 GDS Scummies Ballot

Below is the ballot for the 2010 GDS Scummies Awards. Thanks to everyone who submitted nominations.

Ballots will be accepted over the next 10 days. The deadline for submitting ballots will be 11:59PM EST Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011.

Voting Rules
  • One vote per account.
  • You must have at least 10 posts on the forum to vote (to prevent dummy accounts).
  • You needn't vote for every category, but try to vote for as many as you can.
  • You can't vote for yourself or a group you were a member of where you as a player/moderator/group are nominated. You can vote for events you were involved in (like Most Dramatic Moment or Best Botch).
  • PM ballots to both myself and moon_lit_tears (That's 'Wallbanger; moon_lit_tears' in the PM's address box.)
One quick note: In past years I have, with the counsel of others involved in the scummies, trimmed down the catagories with over six nominations based on who had more seconds, more overall nominations, etc. I'm not going to do that this year, as there are only a few categories with over six nominations, so I don't think it's as much of a problem as it has been in the past. The only nomination that didn't make it to the final ballot was one of mine, which I decided to decline because the category already had nine nominees (Best Scum Catcher) and I've won enough Scummies that I want to see others get their day in the sun/15 minutes of fame/etc.

Again, I apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

Good luck to everyone!

'Banger

---

Best Overall Role Claim -
This category is to recognize the most effective role claim in a single game which impacts the outcome of the game and has high dramatic/entertainment value. Whether the claim was truthful or not is immaterial, only the game and narrative impact of the claim should be considered.

Jman2k3 Fake FI in Host
Tha_Black_phenom Alpha claim in Catfish Creek
Comradebot Hadonismbot Futurama
Arrows as Mewtwo in GDS mafia
Arthur Poppington Hollywood Horror 2
Crayon Over-9000
Jaded in Host
SuperOwens Futurama

Funniest Role Claim - This category is to recognize the funniest/most entertaining roleclaim in a single game, regardless of game impact.
Comradebot claiming Hedonismbot in Futurama
Destiny claiming good trainer In Pokemon
All the Eeves in Pokemon
Astil in DBZ
Derek B As Ogden Futurama
Jman2k3 FI claim in Catfish Creek

Best Role - This category is to recognize well-crafted roles in a single mafia game. Remember the award is for the ROLE, not the PLAYER. A well crafted role played poorly should not be penalized in this category.
Bill Tomasi, Parasite Aligned Crazed Inflected Host
Adolescent Parasite Host
Arthur Poppingto HH2
Dexter in Movieland Massacre
Faulty FI Catfish Creek
Light Yagami Over-9000
Mewtwo Pokemon
Stewie Griffin Family Guy

Panix Award (Most likely to die early) - This category is to recognize players who seem to have a short lifespan, either because they're not trusted, or because they're so well respected that no one wants them around in case they're not on the same side.
Wrestling Century
Antithesis
Derek_b
GruntMark
Moon lit tears
Comradebot
Destiny

BIP - Town - This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing a town-aligned character in a single game.
Gonvick in Nedokious
Olivier le Fou
Antithesis
Gabbo Star Wars III
Imac Over-9000
SuperOwens Pokemon

BIP - Scum Groups (mafia and cult) - This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing an anti-town-aligned character in a single game.
Comradebot Zookeeper Futurama
Jaded Host
Dww Host
GruntMArk as Lord Freiza
Jman2k3 Host
The Shining Armor Alignment in Nedokius

BIP - Third Party (mason and indie) - This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing characters with individual or special alignments in a single game.
Moon_lit_tears Catfish Creek
Team DC Over-9000
Arrows as Mewtwo GDS mafia
Bluestar Host
Comradebot GDS mafia
Jaded Movieland Masacre

BIP - Losing Effort - This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance, regardless of alignment, in a game the individual did not win, but whose play significantly impacted the game and could have changed the result if circumstances had been slightly different.
MJDGoldeneye Futurama
PraguePride Good cop Bad cop
Team Rocket Pokemon
Arrows MewTwo GDS mafia
Gabbo Pokemon
Olivier Le Fou Movieland Masacre

Best Group - This category is to recognize outstanding group performance in a single game regardless of alignment. "The town" is considered a group for purposes of this category.
SuperGriffins Family guy Mafia
Scum in Classic mafia
Town in Movieland Masacre
ALPHA Syndicate Catfish Creek
Scum in Host
Team Rocket Pokemon

Best Discussion - This category is to recognize individual players whose overall quality of discussion contributes to the enjoyment of the game for all players over the course of the year.
Derek_b
Wallbanger
Antithesis
Olivier Le Fou
Destiny
DJtheFunkChris
MJDgoldeneye

Best Scum Catcher - This category is to recognize players who have a knack for identifying scum and successfully eliminating them from play over the course of the year.
Gonvick
Olivier Le Fou
Antithesis
BHK1978
Cappyboy
Comradebot
Derek_b
Petrija
PraguePride

Best Serial Killer - This category is to recognize the most effective performance by a serial killer, cannibal, and/or psychopath in a single game. Both high body count and fear struck in the hearts of players should be taken into account in this category.
Cryaon Over-9000
Glotnot Pokemon (MewTwo)
SeanMcFly El Chupanibre in Futurama
Lprock Futurama
Moon_lit_tears Catfish Creek
SMoke monster Movieland Massacre

The lprock Memorial Funniest Player Award - This category is to recognize the funniest/most entertaining player overall over the course of the year.
LProck
Astil
Comradebot
Jman2K3
PraguePride
Prophet
Wrestling Century

Most Prolific - This category is to recognize the player who has generated the most quality participation over the course of the year. This should not be considered a 'post-whore' award, it is for consistent, meaningful participation in the GDS mafia community over the course of the year.
DJtheFunkChris
Derek_b
MJDGoldeneye
Destiny
Moon_lit_tears
Antithesis
Comradebot

Most Enjoyable Game - What was your favorite game in 2010?
Catfish Creek
Host
Over-9000
Good cop Bad cop
Medical Mafia
Movieland MAssacre
Nedokius

Best Night Scene - This category is to recognize an outstanding writeup for a night scene in a single game. Both composition and game impact should be taken into consideration.
Catfish Creek Night 1
Over-9000 Night 8
Host Night 1
Movieland MAssacre Night 3

Best Overall Writeups - This category is to recognize the overall writing of lynches, night scenes and special events for a single game. Composition, game impact, consistency of style, and the overall storytelling of the collective game writeups should be taken into consideration.
Catfish Creek
Host
Medical Mafia
Nedokius

Most Improved Player- This category is to recognize a player who has made considerable strides in his play throughout the year.
BHK1978
Paws7297
Wrestling Century
Moon_lit_tears
Zeel

Best Moderator - This category is to recognize a moderator who has achieved distinctive excellence in scenario design, game balancing, entertaining writeups and adjudication of issues.
Arrows
Derek_b
Imarevenant
d_w_w
I effin rule

Most Dramatic Moment - This category recognizes outstanding dramatic moments in game due to the players' interaction, shift in game momentum and/or the invocation of abilities to create a swerve.
Crayons fake overkill Over-9000
Bhk saving MichiganHero from lynch in Catfish Creek
Mislynch of Paws in Catfish Creek
End of Good cop Bad cop
FInale in Catfish Creek
Jaded infecting praguepride in HOST *knowing the only way scum can win is if they can use him for a kill.*
Goku being claimed and subsequently lynched at the end of DBZ Mafia

Rookie of the Year - This category recognizes outstanding contributions to the game by a new player. For purposes of this award, a 'rookie' is defined as a player who played and completed their FIRST GDS mafia game in calendar year 2010.
DragonMack
Oliviar Le Fou
SmartBomb
Kobe1724
Zeel1
Max Peck
RabbitMan

Best Botch - This category is for recognizing the most memorable moment where a particular player choice/action/statement doesn't go exactly the way it was meant to.
Jmans Not realizing he was a faulty FI in Catfish Creek
Derek B getting modkilled in Futurama
Not lynching scum Catfish Creek
BHK saving MichiganHero from being lynched in Catfish Creek
Destiny and Jman claiming Trainers in Pokemon
Town believing Jman2k3 in Host

Most Underrated - This category is to recognize up-and-coming players who have had multiple high quality performances, yet seems not to be well known within the mafia community.
BHK1978
Jaded
Zeel1
Gonvick
JackalBane
Paws
Petrija
SmartBomb

Hall of Fame Class of '10 - This category is to induct the Class of 2010 members of the GDS Mafia Hall of Fame, recognizing outstanding overall performance, community spirit, and honorable play. This category will be conducted with a weighted vote system. Vote for three (3) nominees, assigning your top choice five (5) points, your second choice three (3) points, and your third choice one (1) point. A minimum of three nominees will be inducted; additional inductees may be chosen based on overall score.
Gonvick
I effin rule
MJDGoldeneye
Astil
Comradebot
MidnightNick
Moon_lit_tears
BlueStar
Crychon
Destiny
DWW
Lprock
Masterded
PraguePride
ShadowedFlames

Short Form (Please PM your Ballot to Wallbanger and moon_lit_tears)

Best Overall Role Claim:
Funniest Role Claim:
Best Role:
Panix Award (Most likely to die early):
BIP Town:
BIP - Scum Groups (mafia and cult):
BIP - Third Party (mason and indie):
BIP - Losing Effort:
Best Group:
Best Discussion:
Best Scum Catcher:
Best Serial Killer:
The lprock Memorial Funniest Player Award:
Most Prolific:
Most Enjoyable Game:
Best Night Scene:
Best Overall Writeups:
Most Improved Player:
Best Moderator:
Most Dramatic Moment:
Rookie of the Year:
Best Botch:
Most Underrated:
Hall of Fame Class of '10 (5 Points):
Hall of Fame Class of '10 (3 Points):
Hall of Fame Class of '10 (1 Points):
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Low Minors

So, the HoF? Does it just go to the three highest vote recievers? Or is there a minimum threshold?

I dont remember.

Ive already voted, so it isnt super important, just curious.
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMark View Post
So, the HoF? Does it just go to the three highest vote recievers? Or is there a minimum threshold?

I dont remember.

Ive already voted, so it isnt super important, just curious.
Kind of a hybrid of the two. Where the threshold ends up is dependent on how the votes are distributed - I don't set a threshold other than "Top 3 vote getters and anyone else who is reasonably close to the top three". I avoided a hard "inductees must receive a minimum of 35% of total available points to be inducted" to avoid not inducting anybody in an evenly split field and to avoid only inducting one or two if the voting was lopsided.

Here's an actual example from a past year (won't say which year, this is only a partial view, and names are removed to protect the innocent).

Candidate 1 - 102 points (Inducted)
Candidate 2 - 45 points (Inducted)
Candidate 3 - 38 points (Inducted)
Candidate 4 - 27 points
Candidate 5 - 15 points
The rest - Less than 15 points

There were 28 ballots received, meaning a "perfect" score (all first place votes) would be 140 points.

Now here, you can see there was an overwhelming favorite as first choice with 102 overall points (72.8% of perfect score), had 17 first place votes and is mentioned on the vast majority of ballots (24 of 28 total).

The distant second place finisher had 45 points (32.1% of perfect score), a few first place votes (6) and is mentioned on 13 of 28 ballots, just under half of all ballots.

Third place had 38 points (27.1% of perfect score), only had 2 first place votes, but was mentioned on more ballots than the second place finisher (16).

Now, you'll see that fourth place has 27 points (19.2% of perfect score) and then things trail off to 15 and fewer points. In that case, the nominee only had one first place vote and was mentioned on 13 ballots.

We went back and forth as to whether or not to induct that fourth place finish. Ultimately we came to the conclusion that it was too far back to merit induction, given the overall vote. With the first place finisher sucking all of the air out of the room, there weren't many points left to go around. In a scenario where the winner isn't such a runaway, that fourth place finisher could have easily picked up enough points to justify induction.

This has actually been the overall pattern for voting in the HoF category to date (1 or 2 runaways and everyone else fights for scraps). I am suspecting that this year may break the pattern and there's a legitimate chance a fourth or even fifth inductee is named.
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Major League

REMINDER

Just a reminder that ballads close March 2nd. I've received 10 ballots. They were all sent to Wallbanger as well. Just make sure you send them to us both so we can keep things straight.

I've gotten 10 so far. That's not bad so far, but a far cry from last year. Get those votes in folks.
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
All Star

I'll likely send my votes in later this week or at the weekend. It will be done, fear not.
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Phenom

I'll send in my votes before the deadline...just a heads up!
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Star

Bump to remind folks to get those ballots in!
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM
All Star

I'm aware that I have yet to send in my votes, but will do so tomorrow evening.
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Major League

11:59PM EST Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011. This is your warning. Get those PMs in.
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM

That caught my attention!

Funny thing is I was halfway into doing it.. and then the Greyhound bus arrived at destination

Alpha male reporting in~!
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Wait...what time does the ballot close?
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by praguepride View Post
Wait...what time does the ballot close?
Dude, don't make me hurt you.
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_lit_tears View Post
Dude, don't make me hurt you.
She will you know. I've seen it. She does horible things like making you listen to The Black Eyed Peas
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganHero View Post
She will you know. I've seen it. She does horible things like making you listen to The Black Eyed Peas
The horror...

The horror...
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Major League

oh You guys act like I'm so mean.

I'd have you listen to This