Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Imperium: Arena of Death General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Three more. Lot of failures today. Lot of guys who looked a lot better before I clicked 'render'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
The Stone/DeColt rivalry just got kicked up a notch.
Actually, those two fine gentlemen began as my versions of Eddie Chandler and Ryan Powell. There are two Stones up there though. An imaginary prize to anyone who spots them.
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:07 PM
GDS Developer

3 more great portraits...nice work!
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Decided to open up DAZ and try to create some renders a bit more fitting

Not as good as self's I'll be the first to admit, but I'd say maybe usable
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Hall of Fame

Sorry Derek, but im slightly hijacking this thread.

This is so gonna sound like a dig, but hopefully they don't see it as such.

MJStark and Self.. Please have a read of this, as I feel your work could be so much better. While I do admire the rate at which you can create these characters, they appear (to me at least) a tad flat and almost as if they had been made out of plasticine and somewhat akin to this:

Meet Michael 4 in all his plainess. Theres no tone or defination in his skin and he looks very feminine.. Best thing to do is get a new texture pack

This texture pack cost me $11.16 from Renderosity.com. I didn't change the facial structure of the model, but already its looking a vast improvement (although a little dead in the eyes)

I added a displacement map to his head, and you should be able to see the vein lines on the side of his head as well as a bump map. I increased the bump to 100% and set the positive bump to 0.1 and negative to -0.1. This gives the model a more pocked looking face and better cuts (in this case). Bump mapping can take a bit of tweaking depending on the map you're using.

Now.. With that done, its time to light him up. The newest version of Daz Studio comes with UberEnvironment and while its a lot more processor heavy, I think the results speak for themselves...

But.. There is still one very important thing that needs to be checked.. The lighting model for your objects.

So far DAZ has been rendering based upon thinking the character was actually plastic, but if you change that setting to 'skin' and re-render...

You can see that the character becomes a lot more flesh toned. Each part of an object can be set differently. I had a spear where I made the shaft 'matte' and the spear 'metallic' making it reflect the light.

The next part is purely optional... I saved my character as a .PNG file as it allows me to keep any transparancy and loaded it into Photoshop. In there I tweaked the colour balances, darkened areas and lit up the eyes as I sought to create a perfect look

Direct Comparison

This is the exact same model. I have not tweaked anything. The facial structure is exactly the same and the only differences are in what I showed you as I made this guide

I hope you don't think im having a go, but every time I see those renders, im thinking... 'Man.. You could do so much better'
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Hall of Fame

Some good tips in there, many I know but helpful none-the-less. As you seem to have this whole rendering thing down maybe you can help me with something. While trying to do some renders for the last version of the ThunderVerse that came out I discovered that I was using the Poser versions of the M4 Elite textures in DAZ, which meant I was using the wrong shaders. After about 1000000000000 goes I finally got the right versions installed, everything looks fine in preview but every time I go to render them the skin is completely white. This also happens any time I try to use any eyes but one specific free set I found ages ago.

Any advice here appreciated, and sorry Derek for continuing to derail the thread
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Have you tried changing either the skin lighting model or the light intensity?
Unread 04-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Lighting model does very little & if I change the light intensity it gets better, but everything else in the render gets very dark (like his clothes are in a darkened room but his skin is in daylight
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Hall of Fame

Can you screengrab your surfaces tab for the object
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Hall of Fame

Maybe, which bit do you want? Opening DAZ and doing stuff is a bit of a mission TBH (I have the bare minimum spec ) so I'd need to know exactly what you want to see. If you post a pic of what you need I'll take that screenshot
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Hall of Fame

I'm thinking it's something in your surfaces tab so I would be lookin g at the section that you can manually change the texture and bump maps (like my screenshot)
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:00 PM
GDS Developer

No problem guys, nice to see this forum jumping a bit, rather than the crickets that was this forum previously.

Clarity: Your skill with Daz is pretty amazing!
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
I'm thinking it's something in your surfaces tab so I would be lookin g at the section that you can manually change the texture and bump maps (like my screenshot)
Yeah, but which section? It's a long list
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
No problem guys, nice to see this forum jumping a bit, rather than the crickets that was this forum previously.

Clarity: Your skill with Daz is pretty amazing!
I'd hope so. Been tinkering with it since around 2006 and Photoshop for almost as long
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJStark View Post
Yeah, but which section? It's a long list
Top half i believe
Unread 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Hall of Fame

I think I may have found the slider I was looking for.. Screengrab your ambient colour and strength