Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-16-2019, 11:19 AM
Low Minors

Default Dark Match Debut vs "On Screen Debut"

I have always had a bit of an issue that the game treats dark matches the same as "on screen" matches in terms of gimmicks, disposition, etc. The game also treats a dark match debut the same as an on-screen debut in a lot of ways now.

I would really like to see those two separated. A player should be able to change gimmicks, disposition, etc and not get penalized for these things in a dark match. So a player could test out new gimmicks, dispositions, etc in dark matches, and once they are confident that the right combo has been found, then 'lock it in' and bring it to TV/Event. This makes dark matches more useful as a place to experiment.

Use Case #1
I recently hired a worker to my company who had an equal ability to portray a Face or a Heel character. Upon hiring I made him a Face, and gave him a gimmick as such. The worker has been working dark matches for a month now, and just as I am ready to debut him on TV I found out he has excellent chemistry working against another Face on the roster.

Why could I not just turn the new worker Heel, give him a new gimmick, and then debut him in a feud with this other worker?

Use Case #2
I have a new worker who I want to push who is a recent grad of my dojo. I gave him a gimmick before he started working dark matches, and the gimmick didn't get over as well as I expected. I'd like to try out other gimmicks for this worker before he shows up on TV, to see if I can find one that the fans react to better - and then 'officially debut' the worker with that gimmick.
Unread 07-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Living Legend

Similar suggestion here: http://greydogsoftware.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=543787

Adam shot it down
Unread 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Super Star

I personally agree with Adam's assessment. It's a nice idea on paper - and it happens in real life, or at least used to happen pre-social media - but as a gameplay feature it'd be a little dull. We'd just test each and every gimmick in a dark segment, and that's that. There would be no reason to do otherwise.
Unread 07-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Major League

Well, one of the downsides would be the time taken to find it. You have to decide between debuting them immediately or taking time to find something that works. But I take the point that you can give up a show or two of preshow time to find something that works so it could be given a system that works slightly differently:

You don’t get given specific ratings for gimmicks, etc. Instead you get a window. Either a broad spectrum of positive/neutral/negative to reflect that it’s not in full show conditions so the fan reaction is different, the way workers carry themselves is different, etc. You can still find a broad positive or negative but at least it isn’t as informed as the current system. Or you can get two limits that it falls somewhere between but the preshow rating isn’t locked down (in the same way as currently before any debut, you can change without penalty).

When you debut them on the main show, the official rating is calculated then, perhaps within a window provided by how it performed on the preshow. So for example if you got a ‘neutral’ result for a gimmick that might mean 38-63 so when they officially debut the rating would be locked between those two. You might get lucky and the value is 61, or it could be 39, etc.

You could even have the window shrink the more you practice on the preshow so after 4 preshows it shrinks to 47-58. Then you can decide if you want to take the chance on that window or not. Maybe 38-63 you’d keep it on the preshow and if it closed to 38-45 then you’d try again with a new gimmick but if it closed to 58-63, you might think that’s worth it.

If the window was 10-34, you’d can it straight away. If it was 71-92, you’d debut them straight away. If it was 56-75, you might give it a few preshows to see which way it falls. Or if it was a lower card worker, 40-57 might seem worth it because you can’t be bothered to experiment with a jobber.

There’s still an element of trial and error (which rewards you for patience rather than instant gratification) until you get it right but do you really think that doesn’t happen behind the scenes in real life? Even when Vince is throwing gimmicks at people in WWE, there is still an aspect of seeing if it fits a worker before they put it on TV. They have specific facilities for practising promos and screen testing at the Performance Center. Wrestlers still practice gimmicks before they go live. It might not literally be on a preshow but this is a reasonable enough workaround without adding a whole new area of functionality to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeemuFoundation View Post
I personally agree with Adam's assessment. It's a nice idea on paper - and it happens in real life, or at least used to happen pre-social media - but as a gameplay feature it'd be a little dull. We'd just test each and every gimmick in a dark segment, and that's that. There would be no reason to do otherwise.
Honestly, I would only ever use it for guys I had big plans for, otherwise I’d carry on as I do now, and just lazily throw them onto a live show with whatever gimmick I’ve plucked out for them and it’s a sink or swim situation.

I’d still like the possibility/option of a more refined selection process though.
Unread 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Super Star

This would definitely be gamey.

I think a good alternative would be the ability to gage how dispositions and gimmicks are doing by testing them out on house shows. Instead of giving us a grade, maybe just a vague report of how it is doing before we decide to debut it and get the true grade.

We should also be able to send to dojo or developmental to achieve the same thing.
Unread 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Phenom

I think the only way to allow that without making it gamey would be to not have turns/gimmicks be 'debuted' in the dark at all. You give someone a new gimimck? That's fine, but you won't know the rating until it's happened in the main show.

This would allow tweaks before a main show debut -- have someone working as a heel for a couple shows in the dark, but debut as a face? That's fine, and you shouldn't be penalized for a too-soon turn. Playing with a gimmick? That's fine, but you were just playing so you have no idea whatsoever how the crowd will react.
Unread 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Star

Also keep in my that dark shows aren’t really a thing right now compared to the actual term. These preshow and post show matches aren’t really being held in the “dark” these days.