Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > World of Mixed Martial Arts 5 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-09-2020, 11:14 AM
All Star

Yeah. Seems like I should just ignore rankings and book however I want. I'm gonna get penalized anyways.
Unread 02-09-2020, 12:24 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post
Yes, as Alex said, rankings are about how good a fighter is, the guide to where to put them on the card is about how popular they are. They're explicitly measures of two totally different aspects. Just because someone is #1 in the world doesn't mean people want to watch them

You shouldn't ignore the guide, as it's telling you who has the popularity to draw viewers. If the game is telling you someone is only fit for the prelims, that means that headlining with them would be a boneheaded decision because their popularity is well beneath what you need to attract fans at your company's size and you'll get penalised. Often you'll end up with a handful of people who can draw and a lot of people who can't, just like reality.

Note that if someone is listed as being at the prelim level that doesn't mean you literally have to use them on the prelims (just like in TEW that someone being a Lower Midcarder doesn't literally mean you can only use them near the foot of the card). You can absolutely put them on the main card, just not in one of the main matches, as they won't have any impact in terms of drawing power. Judging by their advice, the earlier posters in this thread don't seem to have understood that part.
I can attest to all of this. Obviously me saying it won't have more impact than the actual game developer stating it, but, as a player, this is my own experience and the game is very realistic in that regard. A good example: I started a SHW division with nobodies, and obviously even the top ranked ones were preliminary card fighters. I promoted a few well known Heavyweights into it to give the division legitimacy and obviously they were established fighters, ergo, most of them were draws and not preliminary guys.

As some have said in this thread, even UFC struggles with some of their best fighters not being necessarily the most popular. So I think people are confusing the ranking as a measure of talent, versus the assistant's advice, as a matter of popularity. Obviously a promoter will always want the latter to headline, unless the actual opponent is so popular that you can place him against a bag of chips and still get a worthy main fight.

As I tend to use the advice of the game quite a lot to learn more about the popularity of my fighters, I realize it is extremely helpful in certain aspects, especially when comparing a good main event with a great one and so on. Straying a bit from said advice is obviously necessary, as someone being a prelim fighter doesn't mean he has to fight in the prelims forever, but one thing is being in the main card against someone in a "meaningless" spot, the other one is being in on a main event or one of the top matches.
Unread 02-10-2020, 07:41 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungner View Post
Yeah. Seems like I should just ignore rankings and book however I want. I'm gonna get penalized anyways.
As I said before, you might get more gain from low pop fighters putting on a clinic on match slot 5 then filling it with boring fighters. The match accounts for 3% of the card rating. But they might give you 15% for the 'fantastic' fight. You'll gain, trust me... but there's never a guarantee in mma though.
Unread 02-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Low Minors

Where is that information about 3% of rating or 15%? Or did you just empirically figure that out?
Unread 02-11-2020, 04:31 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by raufbold View Post
Where is that information about 3% of rating or 15%? Or did you just empirically figure that out?
Its just an estimate. Could be 5%. All i know is i get 95% ratings sometimes when i put a "prelim" match in that slot.
Unread 02-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Minor League

Welp, this ended up turning into more than I thought it would. But thanks for all of the advise. I'm doing PRIDE FC, starting without any contracted fighters, any suggests who I should pick up (preferely anyone that isn't in UFC, cause most of their guys are exclusive)?
Unread 02-12-2020, 08:13 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWZone View Post
Welp, this ended up turning into more than I thought it would. But thanks for all of the advise. I'm doing PRIDE FC, starting without any contracted fighters, any suggests who I should pick up (preferely anyone that isn't in UFC, cause most of their guys are exclusive)?
Depends on the database you're using...
Unread 02-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Depends on the database you're using...
I'm using the Modern Warriors database.
Unread 02-13-2020, 07:35 AM
All Star

Quote:
I'm using the Modern Warriors database.
There's a few of those... gets updated monthly / yearly.
Can you tell me the month and year the DB starts?
Unread 02-13-2020, 06:43 PM
Minor League

Quote:
There's a few of those... gets updated monthly / yearly.
Can you tell me the month and year the DB starts?
January 2020
Unread 02-14-2020, 10:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by raufbold View Post
For the record: I just tested it to make sure I wasn't BS'ing. Pulled a 5-fight main card with amazing main events (even the 3rd fight was a top draw) but the bottom 2 main fights were duds, with the last one being "high national", which is atrocious for a max. pop company (it's hard to pull lower interest unless you take losing-streakers off the street).

And I got... 97% commercial rating. So this means that the value of the lower two cannot be more than 3%, because I'm pretty sure it was a complete dud in terms of marketing (both were 'prelim' quality, which is the lowest grade, and "low" prelim quality at that). Normally I get 100% every time, so this is surely because of these 2 lackluster main fights. But for 3% loss, you're often MUCH better off promoting young talents. There IS a chance you get even less than 97% with 2 bouts between actual losers, but I'd like to see that before believing it.

As the critical rating has absolutely nothing to do with draw power, that's .

So the people here are right to suggest that you need 3 main fights that are draws. One of them just in case you get a training injury, in case you have it turned on (and you should realistically put it on at least "high"). The other 2 slots (or 7 for that matter) can safely be used to boost pop of the up and comers, as pop gain is severely restricted in prelims.
Unread 02-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Low Minors

Thanks, Blackman - that's good to know, quite a bit of useful information.
Unread 02-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
January 2020
Look at the world rankings and free agent rankings to start