Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Super Star

Default Start own film studio

I know this is too late for TEW 2020, but if another one is made then this could be added. Have it so you can, if your promotion is big enough start a film studio and said movies can be used to boost a workers popularity. It would mainly benefit workers with high charisma, acting and star power. It would be a costly investment but it could work.
Unread 11-17-2019, 10:53 AM
All Star

Two issues come to mind here.

1: Wouldn't the talent making the movie have to be away from the ring? Seems like the extra travel back and forth from movie set to the sites of various cards occurring during filming would add both to company expense and wear on the worker himself. To the point having them around regularly during filming would be too great a risk.

2: This feels like a big promotion issue. Now maybe I'm biased because I prefer to play small feds. But how much of the game universe would this effect? You SWF's and WWE's for sure. But beyond that? I don't see the wide ranging benefit.

Now if this could be done simply, then okay. I wouldn't quibble. But ideally there are far more universal phenomena I'd rather see in the game.
Unread 02-07-2020, 05:19 AM
Hall of Fame

The closest thing I can come up with gameplay-wise is to have an option to take a worker that is off-screen and have them do a movie to keep their pop value constant so it wouldn't drop (maybe rise a little). But they can't really be injured as that wouldn't make sense.

Otherwise you get too much abuse, plus, like cappyboy says, you're essentially handicapping yourself by losing access to the worker(s).
Unread 02-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Low Minors

I think they're thinking like WWE has their own WWE Studios. How you'd start up a film company like that and just pick a worker to be "inactive", sorta like just giving them a vacation, and have them act in the film.

If you REALLY wanted to get into it you could have people give you offers to distribute a film and have an RNG for any get-back you might have on it, but that seems like going too far for a simple fun add-on.
Unread 02-08-2020, 07:30 PM
All Star

So from a real-life perspective, when WWE set up WWE Films, most wrestlers were still on TV (most), and filmed on the days when they would have otherwise been performing on live events/house shows. I know that Cena would fly from the et to wherever TV was and then immediately fly back. Sometimes they would schedule it around storyline injuries so that guys could be off TV for the whole event, but generally speaking, they would work both.

When WWE set up WWE Films/Studios, not only did it have to have an initial investment, each individual film has to be paid for. Now, WWE did this a lot of times by pairing with other production companies (Lionsgate for instance) who would cover most of the financial burden.

From a gameplay mechanic, I think it would get too complicated and it is one of those mechanics that would be a fun little thing to have if you are playing as a massive company but I think would probably bee to complex to make it worth it. To do it right, you'd need an initial investment, you would have to have money come out each month for maintaining the studio staff and then you would have to have extra money come out when you were shooting a movie.

Would you be able to film multiple movies at the same time? Would you have a limit/cap on how many films you can make in a year or how many films a talent can be in a given time span?

Is the feature capped to companies with certain popularity or is it a money issue? Someone in the CVerse like Gil Thomas could easily bankroll a small movie studio -- or at least be able to fund a movie being made but he only owns IPW which isn't a big enough company to qualify if it is a size standpoint.

I think this is a feature that sounds great on paper but I don't think, me personally, it would add a whole lot of value to the game from a mechanic standpoint and would probably cause more headaches than anything else.
Unread 02-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post
I think this is a feature that sounds great on paper but I don't think, me personally, it would add a whole lot of value to the game from a mechanic standpoint and would probably cause more headaches than anything else.
Exactly. It will only lead to "is this it?"-disappointment. Or it would have to be something small and fun like the Olympics in WMMA. It was requested by several people and we ended up getting it. It only goes for workers on non-exclusive contracts and it will make the fighter unavailable for 2+ years, so I'm guessing not everyone will be a fan. In the end, you get a small pop boost if they end up medalling. Very nice for immersion, and if you don't like it you can sign exclusive deals (which is default). Everyone wins. No extra loading times or overcomplicating things. It might take some stats into account but I think it's just pure RNG, but that's fine.

If you want to play as a film studio, there has just been a manager game on Steam: "Showtime 2". Years in the making, should be at least decent.