Rookie

Last week: 828,000 (.34/3rd)
This week: 928,000 (.36/11th)
Unread 02-07-2020, 01:35 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post

Dynamite:

- Mox vs Ortiz was good. Jericho on commentary is always a treat.
Oh no doubt. Solid match and great symmetry with Mox keying Ortiz's eye. Gives the rest of the Inner Circle reason to be concerned about him and not just Jericho.

Quote:
- Best Friends vs SCU was good.
And would expect nothing else from these two teams. Also I have to say Orange Cassidy's bit was a step above his usual fare in a "who the heck would even DO that" kind of way. Although maybe it was a bit heelish stepping over people to do it rather than helping anybody.

Quote:
- Dr. Britt vs Yuka was solid. They botched Yuka's entrance music again but at least she got pyro and won. Another fun Baker promo. That was a Killer Kross in Lucha Underground level beatdown. The fake blood and tooth was a nice touch. I wonder how many marks are going to blame Baker for injuring Yuka LOL.
No biggie on the music. For the majority of the audience this was likely their introduction to Sakayaki. So not a big flub in the grand scheme of things. And you may LOL but I sure hope the more markish among us are raging at Britt for injuring Yuka or that wasn't even worth doing. Found myself a bit unsettled by how far they took that attack even knowing that such segments aren't "real". Prop blood and tooth or no, just ewww.

Quote:
- Butcher/Blade & Lucha Bros vs The Elite was great. Hangman storyline is amazing. PAC threatening Riho was chilling.
Good match to be sure but the Elite's opposition almost felt beside the point with all the story stuff going on. Loved Hangman only tagging Kenny and how that ended up costing them. That situation is heading for a big explosion and beware the Hangman after it does. PAC's bit wasn't bad but it felt a little superfluous to me and I don't really get what would put him and Nyla in league

Quote:
- Darby with the flamethrower action! Can't wait for him and Sammy to wrestle.
Ditto. Sammy so has it coming for the skateboard.

Quote:
- Sabian vs Janela was good. Sabian with the cheap win makes sense if they want this feud to last until Revolution.
Didn't understand this booking at all. Agree with you about Sabian getting the win here and why. But I didn't understand why they were giving this pairing away with a PPV date looming. A mixed tag like Sabian & Ford v Joey & Statlander okay. Oh well, at least we got more Penelope chicanery. She is such an awesome partner in crime.

Quote:
- Love the Dark Order commercials.
Not sure this was quite up to the level of prior versions. Can't even really remember as I'm posting this.

Quote:
- The Cody/MJF segment was masterful. Having so much of the roster out there watching or cheerleading made it seem like a bigger deal.
For the most part I'd agree with you. But there was one problem here. Not that it detracted too much but enough to still be worth noting. That being Brandi. She seemed way too normal when she was coming down to support Cody. Not having seen Dark and the apparent soft ending of the Nightmare Collective, it felt wrong for her to be so plainly dressed and for them to not be trying to keep her from Cody. Still nice that her support was got him over the final hump. But it felt way too pat. She's been off the rails heel for months and suddenly out of the blue no sign of that whatsoever? Was a bit jarring and took some of the bite out of her appearance.
Unread 02-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Hall of Fame

The main event angle was so good. Cody continues to win me over. He acted the hell out of that, to the point that when Brandi came out (which was weird, yes) it brought a tear to my eye. The expression on his face. Outstanding.

Meanwhile, the women's division continues to suck. I don't know where they keep finding these joshi rookies with weak, sloppy offense. Another bad match. At least it was short.

I feel like I don't need to see Kip Sabian for a couple of weeks. Watched too much in quick succession, but that's partly my fault. Janella has bad fundamentals but is undeniable over.

Moxley/Ortiz was fine. SCU/Best Friends was weirdly structured but I enjoyed it. Dark Order's getting more watchable. Eight-man was wacky. I liked the show.
Unread 02-08-2020, 04:52 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
AEW have seemingly and thankfully dropped the Nightmare Collective
I'm of two minds here. On the one hand, the primary plot wasn't working. There can be no doubt about that. It was too muddled and amorphous what the Nightmare Collective's aim even was. To the point it felt like even AEW Creative didn't know and it's certainly not a bad thing that something else can take up that show space.

However, it's the subtext of that storyline that I lament losing. The whole idea of Cody being the face of the company and so thoroughly uber-face while Brandi was off the rails heel. The in-character version of the Rhodes marriage was a fascinating dynamic with that wide a gap in attitude between the spouses. That could have been compelling stuff if done right.

Did Cody in character know that Brandi was such a mess? Or was he so busy with Jericho and MJF and the attackers of the week he wasn't able to focus on that? I don't know this Luther guy well so I don't know if he could have held up his end. But it feels like a battle between him and Cody for Brandi's soul could have been a really intense storyline over the long haul. Shame that the Collective's goal was never made clear or how Brandi had gotten drawn in to begin with. If the surface had made more sense, there was quite the brew bubbling under the surface.
Unread 02-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Hall of Fame

I thought the worst thing about the Nightmare Collective was that it undermined Cody's presentation. He's real. His promos speak of real experiences and frustrations.... yet his wife is doing some pretend evil stuff. That he never acknowledges because it hurts his presentation.

Theres a way it could work, if they went more lucha underground and ignored reality altogether.

I miss lucha underground.
Unread 02-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Living Legend

So Matt Jackson says Meltzerís report about Marty Scurll being the planned leader of Dark Order was false and there was never a plan for Marty to be involved with the Dark Order.

Right now it seems like Daniels is going to be the leader, but Matt Hardyís WWE contract ends this month so heís a possibility too. Iíd probably be interested if Daniels or Hardy is the leader.
Unread 02-08-2020, 09:02 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
So Matt Jackson says Meltzerís report about Marty Scurll being the planned leader of Dark Order was false and there was never a plan for Marty to be involved with the Dark Order.

Right now it seems like Daniels is going to be the leader, but Matt Hardyís WWE contract ends this month so heís a possibility too. Iíd probably be interested if Daniels or Hardy is the leader.
Daniels leading the Dark Order could be a very good idea. Sounds like something a fallen angel would do. Think I'd prefer him in charge over Matt Hardy. Never really got the whole Broken thing. But then I heard about most of it second hand. And I was also the lone voice in the apparent wilderness who grumbled about Chris Jericho's "scalded dog" heel run. Just never gotten what was who odious and heel-like in being a beaten man. I always thought that what we were markishly supposed to want for all the heels. For the spirits to be broken by incessant failure to the point they gave up all the scheming against our heroes.
Unread 02-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Dark was really good.

- Shoko vs Riho was great. Shoko looked strong in defeat.
- Havoc vs Kiss was good. The psychology was on point. Both guys have been underutilized.
- Might as well use Luther to put over other deathmatch guys like Havoc and Janela... if he can still go in the ring.
- Golden vs Shida was solid.
- Dark Order vs Jurassic Express was great as was the post-match angle. Jungle Boy is so smooth and quick with his movement.
Unread 02-12-2020, 11:23 PM
Living Legend

Jeff Cobb is a good pick up by AEW
Unread 02-13-2020, 01:57 AM
Living Legend

I was on another site and I made the mistake of saying that I thought MJF was far better in MLW. I just like him with the Dynasty, I like the group dynamics between the three (well I guess four of them now) of them. Their segments are usually the most entertaining part of the show. It stinks now that he is exclusively with AEW.

Now I do not regret saying what I said and I stick by what I said, but man alive everyone went nuts on me. Telling me how wrong I was and I was not a real wrestling fan.

I swear, AEW fans are very Cult like, almost near the levels of early ROH fans. If you say one negative thing about the promotion they swarm all over you.

Last edited by BHK1978 : 02-13-2020 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Because I guess I do not know the difference between there and their...
Unread 02-13-2020, 07:24 AM
Rookie

- SCU vs Page & Omega (c) was great. I liked the Dark Order promo before the match and all the tag teams marking their territory after it. Interconnected storylines make the show feel more cohesive. Cassidy with the devastating super kicks :O
- Santana interview was heavy. Nice touch with Darby using cue cards to communicate.
- Sammy vs Dustin was good. Dustin went in hard on Hager LOL.
- Tony is a sucker for punishment talking to Britt again. Another fun promo. Looks like we might get a Britt/Yuka rematch at Revolution.
- Nyla vs Riho (c) was probably the best women's match so far. Right result. Post-match backstage segment with Kenny was a nice touch. I hope they run a triple threat with Shida at Revolution. The FITE feed cut out for a couple of minutes when TNT went to PIP commercials which sucked.
- MJF vs Jungle Boy was great.
- Love PAC's promos. Also love that Inner Circle arena shots.
- Santana vs Mox was good. Jeff Cobb is a nice pick-up. Hope it's not a one-off.
Unread 02-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Rookie

So from what I have read Jeff Cobb is still under a verbal/handshake deal with ROH. But AEW reached out to Cobb personally, and it is currently a handshake deal as well.

ROH has no involvement with this deal, and it's strictly between Cobb and AEW.

Currently Cobb is set to appear at Supercard of Honor, don't be surprised if that is his last date with ROH, it seems AEW are looking to actually beef up their roster and snatch him up, I would also like to think ROH will throw the farm at Cobb like they did Marty to get him to stay.

So with AEW more than likely grabbing Brodie Lee, Lance Archer, and possibly Jeff Cobb, Brian Cage, it looks as tho AEW has realized they need bigger guys on their roster, and can't sustain with a roster full of lightweights.

So looking at their Heavyweight roster (including possible signings.)

Jericho
Moxley
Omega
Luchasaurus
Hager
Dustin Rhodes
Brian Cage
Jeff Cobb
Lance Archer
Brodie Lee

I'd say AEW is on the right path to getting a better more well rounded roster.
Unread 02-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
So from what I have read Jeff Cobb is still under a verbal/handshake deal with ROH. But AEW reached out to Cobb personally, and it is currently a handshake deal as well.

ROH has no involvement with this deal, and it's strictly between Cobb and AEW.

Currently Cobb is set to appear at Supercard of Honor, don't be surprised if that is his last date with ROH, it seems AEW are looking to actually beef up their roster and snatch him up, I would also like to think ROH will throw the farm at Cobb like they did Marty to get him to stay.

So with AEW more than likely grabbing Brodie Lee, Lance Archer, and possibly Jeff Cobb, Brian Cage, it looks as tho AEW has realized they need bigger guys on their roster, and can't sustain with a roster full of lightweights.

Jericho
Moxley
Omega
Luchasaurus
Hager
Dustin Rhodes
Brian Cage
Jeff Cobb
Lance Archer
Brodie Lee

while big guys can be an asset, and I'm happy to see more of them, a roster of smaller wrestlers isn't unsustainable.
Unread 02-13-2020, 01:18 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post

Jericho
Moxley
Omega
Luchasaurus
Hager
Dustin Rhodes
Brian Cage
Jeff Cobb
Lance Archer
Brodie Lee

Careful about assuming the new guys are all automatically going to slot into place as singles. There's also the matter of Shawn Spears seeking a tag partner. One of them could slot into that role. Archer being the one that jumps out at me for that seeing the last time I saw him was as a tag guy.
Unread 02-13-2020, 02:42 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyboy View Post
Careful about assuming the new guys are all automatically going to slot into place as singles. There's also the matter of Shawn Spears seeking a tag partner. One of them could slot into that role. Archer being the one that jumps out at me for that seeing the last time I saw him was as a tag guy.
Archer has been working singles since June 2019 and it's honestly the best work of his career. I loved his team with Kid Kash and his team with Davey Boy Smith Jr, but his in ring work as a singles guy has grown leaps and bounds.

That said, if he was forced into a tag team, him and Shawn Spears would be pretty neat. I love teams where they pair a big guy and a smaller guy.