Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Super Star

I hadn't watched wrestling regularly in years, was flipping through channels a few months back, saw Chris Jericho and decided to give a non-WWE promotion a chance. I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of Dynamite on a week-to-week basis, both in terms of having good matches that actually get time and the character/feud development. Happy to say I'm a fan again, gonna go down the line and get specific with what's got me hooked.

The Omega/Hangman team has been opening every show with great matches that tell a story in the ring, particularly Hangman feeling marginalized in the Elite and getting selfish to stand out while Omega tries to hold the group together.

A few weeks back, it was a blind tag of Omega to get the pin himself, followed by blind tagging the Bucks out of the 4 way tag match to score the fall and the title shot. This week, he celebrates the title win by going into the crowd as soon as the Bucks hit the ring to congratulate them. He's also doing all the shit talking getting them into these matches, stealing Private Party's booze, spilling yet more booze on Christopher Daniels, and throwing that dig at the Bucks about winning the titles before they did in the Schiavone post match interview.

Meanwhile, Omega is doing whatever he can to smooth things over, overlooking the fact that he's being hit with a stray Buckshot Lariat almost every week. They're also giving subtle little reasons for Page to be feeling like this, such as the Bucks choosing to tag Omega in instead of him during the 4 way and Schiavone cutting him off in the interview to ask Omega about PAC. I think we're headed for Omega/Page vs. the Young Bucks at Revolution, putting Kenny in a position where he has to choose his loyalties.

Cody Rhodes/MJF is a really old school feud, heavy on mic work, and they couldn't have picked 2 better promo guys to carry it. I remember Cody from his early WWE days and he's come a long way. I originally wasn't impressed with MJF but have come to realize he's so great at playing a douchebag heel that I was just being a mark about it.

As the biggest name in the company, I don't think they could be using Jericho any better. He's making stars left and right, giving Sammy Guevera the Inner Circle rub and something of a pre-platform for him to get more well known while he gets more established. The feud with Jurassic Express has elevated them while also being a logical choice on Jericho's side as someone he can bully around and dominate to stay strong.

Moxley was the biggest surprise for me when I first started watching, as my impressions of him in WWE were that he was tremendously overrated. I've cooled on him a bit even as his push has continued and hope some Inner Circle chicanery keeps him from winning the title at Revolution. For his character to keep being over he needs to lean into the Stone Cold style hellraising a little more but I do think he's capable. It helps that he looks big in AEW, whereas in WWE he's basically a step above the minimum size you have to be to get a push.

Butcher, Blade, & Bunny are the kind of mid-level gimmick tag team I miss.

The women's division, as others have already said, is trash. Brandi Rhodes should get mic skills in the teens in any real world mods for TEW 2020. Riho doesn't impress me. Kris Statlander has the look but botches too often, she's a couple years away in my book. Britt Baker is boring. Emi Sakura is the best wrestler of the bunch but I don't see them putting the title on her. There's not many options out there and they'd take heavy criticism if they shut it down, so I expect it to continue to be the weak point of the show.

At first sight, I thought I would probably detest Darby Allin. Happy to say I was very wrong about that, he puts his body on the line in a way that lives up to having skeleton face paint. That match with PAC was brutal but excellent.

I've flipped over to NXT a couple times but nothing really stuck with me. Also watched the latest Raw because I was in a hotel, everything but the tag title match was the excrement that caused me to stop watching in the first place. So I guess I'm an AEW fanboy now.
Unread 01-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Other than an awful Britt Baker match and an even worse Britt Baker promo, this week's edition of Dynamite was really good. Good story telling and some fun match ups. The atmosphere of the cruise ship was neat. Strong main event. I wish I could afford to go see them in Cleveland next week.
My wife and i got lucky enough to score 5th row tickets next to the aisle way for Cleveland.

Not sure of your money situation, but you can get cheap tickets for 20 bucks up in the cheap seats. Not sure if you have been to Wolestein for an event, but it's not a multi tierd arena, its basically got a lower bowl and then the floor. Not really a bad seat in the house.

Saw Nine Inch Nails their a few years ago and was in the cheapseats, and had a great view, and mind you I am blind as a bat towards anything more than 20 feet in front of me. And I was still able to see fine.
Unread 01-27-2020, 08:18 AM
Hall of Fame

Took a while to get around to watching Dynamite. I love the cruise ship gimmick and wish they'd have taken advantage of that a little more with the presentation. Get some aerial footage. Maybe do it in the day time. Put over the setting. They had one short video package about the setting and I wanted more. Unique and different. I wish PAC & Moxley's brawl had gone more places, and that they'd built the story of the match around just how difficult it is to stand on the top rope in 60mph winds.

I'm really getting into Page/Omega, and while I'm excited for the split I'm hoping it's not a 100% heel turn for Page. The Elite are kinda twee and annoying. He's a drunken lone-wolf ass-kicker and the more he's leaning into that the more the fans are embracing him. It would be a shame to have him throw that momentum away. Really happy to see the belts off of SCU. I don't get their appeal in 2020.

The women's match was sloppy and embarassing. I did like the finish though.
Unread 01-29-2020, 11:20 PM
Living Legend

Solid edition of Dynamite this week. For some reason I'm predicting Daniels to be the leader of the Dark Order.
Unread 01-30-2020, 08:56 AM
Rookie

Dark was OK. Nyla vs Shanna was the highlight. As commentary pointed out, Dark Order never once attacked Cutler. Only a matter of time before he gives in and joins.

Dynamite:

- Some of Mox's promo sounded too WWE-ish but he made it work. Jericho was his typical entertaining self.
- Butcher & Blade vs Young Bucks was solid. Blade is still the geek of the team. Based on his name he should be able to strike with precision to setup submissions or something. I enjoyed the simple but effective vignette beforehand and MJF's commentary. Nice cameo from the new Tag Team Champions.
- Nyla vs Big Swole was solid.
- Sabian vs Cody was good. Arn should have spinbusted Remsburg. LOL Janela.
- Good to see people coming around on Britt's promos. Her delivery might not be great but having her rip on the announcers is fun. The more mic time she gets the more she'll improve.
- SCU vs Hybrid 2 was good.
- Good PAC promo. Ayayayayayayayay!!!
- Private Party & Darby vs Inner Circle and the post-match beatdown was great.
Unread 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
Dark was OK. Nyla vs Shanna was the highlight. As commentary pointed out, Dark Order never once attacked Cutler. Only a matter of time before he gives in and joins.

Dynamite:

- Some of Mox's promo sounded too WWE-ish but he made it work. Jericho was his typical entertaining self.
Will have to take your word on the WWE thing with Mox. Never really watched him there. From what I could see both guys brought what they needed to their promos.

Quote:
- Butcher & Blade vs Young Bucks was solid. Blade is still the geek of the team. Based on his name he should be able to strike with precision to setup submissions or something. I enjoyed the simple but effective vignette beforehand and MJF's commentary. Nice cameo from the new Tag Team Champions.
Oh I know. The continuity here was exquisite. From the promo to MJF joining the Three B's for their entrance. MJF on commentary noting he didn't need them to win as long as they hurt the Bucks. The post match beatdown given the result and MJF's perspective on Butcher and Blade's need to win for him. Everything here was pitch perfect.

And incidentially, Adam Page may have revealed an example of my sheltered life. In all my days of having heard the phrase "hold my beer", Page passing his beer off to Jackson was the first time I've ever actually seen someone have a beer to be held and/or someone to actually hold it.

Quote:
- Nyla vs Big Swole was solid.
Given that it was a Nyla match. I recognize the woman's talent but I just so wanted it to be over and get on to the next thing. Which is a shame because Swole has grown on me with every appearance she's made in AEW. Nyla however produces a visceral reaction in me. Nothing about her feels right. Every time I see her I find myself wondering why couldn't Kong be doing this? Or Statlander? Or Megan Bayne? Or any one of hundreds of power women other than Nyla? Heck, maybe even a man when it comes to stuff like that face mask she wears in her entrance or the Native Beast nickname. She just sends my mind scurrying in so many other directions when I'd just like to watch the match.

Quote:
- Sabian vs Cody was good. Arn should have spinbusted Remsburg. LOL Janela.
And let's not forget a key member of this segment. Penelope Ford. Three words kept echoing in my head whenever she acted to aid Sabian. "Devilish. Devilish woman." Could hear Dusty uttering that old chestnut in my head every time she interfered as though he were on commentary rather than Tony or JR. Usually do anyway but doubly so in this match with the match featuring one of Dusty's sons. Ford isn't just the average valet or manager, She could easily be Sabian's partner if AEW were to start a mixed tag scene. She's just as sneaky if not more so than he is and quite the athlete in her own right. If Kip manages to get where he wants in AEW, I could see Penelope being a major part of his rise.

As for the Janela cameo, that made me jump. He was so out of nowhere. Took a minute to even realize he was him I was so thrown. Can only imagine how much in-character worse it was for Kip and Penelope.

Quote:
- Good to see people coming around on Britt's promos. Her delivery might not be great but having her rip on the announcers is fun. The more mic time she gets the more she'll improve.
Certainly agree here. However my football loyalties being what they are, the ending was a bit disappointing. Had me wishing someone on the women's roster was from there and could have come after her. My dream scenario would have been that when she put herself over Baker Mayfield, someone in a Chomps suit could have come out and waffled Britt. A bit of scuffle break out, the bulldog masoct head come off and reveal the local heroine. If Britt can have the Steelers mill worker mascot as part of her hometown hero entrance in Pittsburgh, it would have been perfect symmetry for Chomps to come get her now she's going heel.

Quote:
- SCU vs Hybrid 2 was good.
And I really liked how the announce team was putting The Hybrid 2 over. I tend to agree they are an underrated team in AEW. But the record shows they are underrated with good reason. They seem like they need that little something extra to get over the hump. Like maybe a manager or interference runner to eliminate distractions on their behalf. Perhaps Tully Blanchard is thinking too small trying to find Shawn Spears a tag partner. Maybe he should be looking for a team like TH2 to build a stable with with Spears as the centerpiece. AEW's shown they don't mind doing multi-man tag matches. Spears and TH2 might make a good unit for that when they aren't pursuing gold in their respective divisions.

Quote:
- Good PAC promo. Ayayayayayayayay!!![
Was a very unusual setting. Kind of reminded me of Batman: Arkham Asylum. When your coming out of one of the archways that lead to the section where the medical building and the actual penitentary is. Provided a very dark feeling that solidified the fact PAC is not a man to fool with lightly

Quote:
- Private Party & Darby vs Inner Circle and the post-match beatdown was great.
The pairing of Darby and Private Party really surprised me. In character lack of chemistry could easily have turned this into a Dark style squash. Certainly didn't expect the light-hearted buoyancy of Private Party to mesh well with Darby's inner torment but AEW worked around that issue well. Could see a Darby/Sammy single match springing out of the skateboard to the throat spot and that would likely be a crackler given what those two can do. Moxley clearing house to set the odds right was great even if it did feel more like an enemy of my enemy is my friend move than any kind of altruistic heroism. But if Moxley doesn't care about that, why should we? Still closed the show on exactly the right note.
Unread 02-02-2020, 04:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I had the same thought about Moxley. I think it was because he got in there and immediately launched into a monologue about the current storyline, whereas the other AEW promos (Cody, Jericho, MJF... who else gets to talk?) have a lot more crowd interaction. And maybe fourth wall breaking? They acknowledge and work the fans directly. Which Moxley did eventually, but Jericho did immediately.
Unread 02-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Finished the show.

Given Kong is too broken down to do much any more (or so I read) I like Nyla Rose, in that most of the bigger reactions the women's division matches get come from her. Usually from someone picking her up. Statlander & Shida recognized this, so why "Big Swole" didn't try it once is beyond me. I'm not a fan of Swole. Weak strikes and not much else. A sloppy match.

After watching three Kip Sabian matches this weekend the act with Penelope Ford is growing on me, even if it's still a teenage boy's idea of what a heel is. The match I saw with Nakazawa was goofy fun, and showed Ford isn't just a manager who wants to hit every-girl-ever's huracanranna. She took antics and sold them well.

Fast forwarded Britt.

I love PAC.

Bucks vs B&B and SCU vs TH2 were night and day for me. Bucks had a well paced, classically structured tag match with an exciting shine, solid heat, and energetic comeback. SCU gave no reason for the crowd to cheer for them. I loved Angelico in Lucha Underground, but he was really slow and the match sucked.

Darby is great. Jericho is great. Ortiz is amazing. I'm really excited for him and Moxley next week.
Unread 02-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Phenom

In Belgium we get WWE on a PPV TV ... to be honest, the women's division is almost the only thing worth watching.

Rollins, Danielson, Samoa Joe, etc ... they got great wrestlers. And some poor and bland one's (like Corbin, etc). But a decent storyline...that's beyond WWE. Even a guy who can flip face/heel like Kevin Owens can't draw heat. And it doesn't help that they buried Walther (NXT) at the last PPV.

Which leaves Becky Lynch (who has had a Hulk Hogan run but I think is running out of gas), Charlotte Flair (always looking decent to great but is stuck in the same gimmick), Bailey (the heel run is going nowhere), Alexa Bliss (who I think is excellent but seems a doubt on the physical front). Nikki Cross is fun. Hey, the WWE women's division is great...
Unread 02-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Living Legend

AEW has my three least favorite things in all of wrestling

Britt Baker
Brandi Rhodes/Nightmare Collective
Dark Order

Id rather watch the awful Lana/Lashley/Liv Morgan/Rusev train wreck than ever see the above mentioned workers again.
Unread 02-02-2020, 08:54 PM
Rookie

I like the Dark Order now, especially when they are creeping around on Being the Elite (presumably trying to recruit Brandon Cutler show has been missing a lot lately): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R54wT7Jkmls

While the Nightmare Collective are boring in-ring, Brandi is at least attempting to make them more interesting outside of the ring:

https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/...09374700670983
https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/...02936486252545
Unread 02-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
AEW has my three least favorite things in all of wrestling

Britt Baker
Brandi Rhodes/Nightmare Collective
Dark Order

Id rather watch the awful Lana/Lashley/Liv Morgan/Rusev train wreck than ever see the above mentioned workers again.
Nothing can be even more mind-numbing than Lashley (in a comedy role), Rusev (in any role, he's awful in and out ring) and Hooters.Inc.
Unread 02-03-2020, 07:19 PM
Rookie

AEW ROAD TO HUNTSVILLE | AEW DYNAMITE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB4Le8yWx7s

Cody & Dustin win the PWI Match of the Year award. Riho puts over her competitors in the women's division with her longest promo yet. Arn talks about what he does for Cody and the feud with MJF.
Unread 02-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Rookie

Dark:

- Kiss & Cutler vs Jurassic Express was solid.
- Shida did a decent job of making Mel look like a threat but the match went way too long. I guess Kong just turned face, unless they wrote her out to film GLOW.
- Sabian & Ford vs Kenny & Riho is my 2nd favorite Dark match ever after Omega vs Janela. The indie-style camerawork was a bit strange but that's probably because it only got broadcast because of fans who were there hyping it up and Omega pushing for it.
- Spears & Delaney vs Best Friends was really fun. OC facing off with Tully was funny.

Dynamite:

- Mox vs Ortiz was good. Jericho on commentary is always a treat.
- Best Friends vs SCU was good.
- Dr. Britt vs Yuka was solid. They botched Yuka's entrance music again but at least she got pyro and won. Another fun Baker promo. That was a Killer Kross in Lucha Underground level beatdown. The fake blood and tooth was a nice touch. I wonder how many marks are going to blame Baker for injuring Yuka LOL.
- Butcher/Blade & Lucha Bros vs The Elite was great. Hangman storyline is amazing. PAC threatening Riho was chilling.
- Darby with the flamethrower action! Can't wait for him and Sammy to wrestle.
- Sabian vs Janela was good. Sabian with the cheap win makes sense if they want this feud to last until Revolution.
- Love the Dark Order commercials.
- The Cody/MJF segment was masterful. Having so much of the roster out there watching or cheerleading made it seem like a bigger deal.
Unread 02-06-2020, 05:42 PM
Living Legend

AEW have seemingly and thankfully dropped the Nightmare Collective