Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > World of Mixed Martial Arts 5 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Minor League

Default How do I book a Match Card?

I am making my very first playthrough as a revived PRIDE FC, I have no clue how to book an MMA Card, as it's different to making a wrestling card, I am sure. So anyone got some good tips?
Unread 02-07-2020, 09:03 AM
All Star

Well... Basically like a TEW card. Your main-event has to be the strongest fight, and the co-main event the second strongest.

Then use the preliminary fights to promote fighters that aren't popular yet.
Unread 02-07-2020, 09:47 AM
Hall of Fame

Yeah... there's nothing to it as you're concerned with outcomes, not with composition of the card. There might be highs and lows for the crowd, but they just want to see some exciting fight.

If you want maximum gain from the card, try and book so you get one exciting fight on the main card. Two brawlers with slightly worn chins works almost every time to get at least "great". Furthermore you gotta be lucky somewhat. Where the fight is placed doesn't matter, your main event just needs to be marketable. That's it.
Unread 02-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Minor League

But how do I figure out what Weight Classes will happen on the shows?
Unread 02-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Super Star

First of all, ignore the game any time it tells you a fight should be on the prelims. It's one of the worst aspects of the game. If you play about a year in-game, nearly every SINGLE possible fight on the card will either been a worthwhile main event or a prelim fight. It's laughably dumb. If you want fighterss to "get over" you should put them on the main card. I typically run 5 or 6 fights on the main card, and the same for the prelims, just for realism.
Unread 02-07-2020, 10:48 PM
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWZone View Post
But how do I figure out what Weight Classes will happen on the shows?
Your Office > Match Making > Add Fight

At the top you'll see a "Weight Class" option, change that to whatever weight class fight you wish to make.
Unread 02-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCycle View Post
First of all, ignore the game any time it tells you a fight should be on the prelims. It's one of the worst aspects of the game. If you play about a year in-game, nearly every SINGLE possible fight on the card will either been a worthwhile main event or a prelim fight. It's laughably dumb. If you want fighterss to "get over" you should put them on the main card. I typically run 5 or 6 fights on the main card, and the same for the prelims, just for realism.
I do about the same as well. Though I tend to have a bloated roster so I have ten prelim fights every show.
Unread 02-08-2020, 05:51 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
I do about the same as well. Though I tend to have a bloated roster so I have ten prelim fights every show.
Same with me. 6 Main-card fights, 9 prelim fights. Although it can change every once in a while.
Unread 02-08-2020, 03:47 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCycle View Post
Agree with you on that one...
My #1 ranked Super Heavyweight is valued to be on the prelims, while my #8 ranked is a possible main-eventer. Then why rank them like that?
Unread 02-08-2020, 05:21 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungner View Post
Agree with you on that one...
My #1 ranked Super Heavyweight is valued to be on the prelims, while my #8 ranked is a possible main-eventer. Then why rank them like that?
Because the rankings aim to say who the better fighter is, not who is the most popular. It’s the latter which is how the game decides whether the fighter should be on the prelims or in the main event
Unread 02-09-2020, 02:43 AM
GDS Developer

Yes, as Alex said, rankings are about how good a fighter is, the guide to where to put them on the card is about how popular they are. They're explicitly measures of two totally different aspects. Just because someone is #1 in the world doesn't mean people want to watch them

You shouldn't ignore the guide, as it's telling you who has the popularity to draw viewers. If the game is telling you someone is only fit for the prelims, that means that headlining with them would be a boneheaded decision because their popularity is well beneath what you need to attract fans at your company's size and you'll get penalised. Often you'll end up with a handful of people who can draw and a lot of people who can't, just like reality.

Note that if someone is listed as being at the prelim level that doesn't mean you literally have to use them on the prelims (just like in TEW that someone being a Lower Midcarder doesn't literally mean you can only use them near the foot of the card). You can absolutely put them on the main card, just not in one of the main matches, as they won't have any impact in terms of drawing power. Judging by their advice, the earlier posters in this thread don't seem to have understood that part.
Unread 02-09-2020, 06:22 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post
You shouldn't ignore the guide, as it's telling you who has the popularity to draw viewers. If the game is telling you someone is only fit for the prelims, that means that headlining with them would be a boneheaded decision because their popularity is well beneath what you need to attract fans at your company's size and you'll get penalised. Often you'll end up with a handful of people who can draw and a lot of people who can't, just like reality.
But if my #1 ranked fighter is set for prelims, then what's the point of having him as contender, if I'm going to get penalized for having fight for the title in the main-event, even if he is the best fighter? I mean, he IS the number ranked guy. Same if I use my #7 ranked fighter who is main-event potential, then I'll get penalized for using an undeserving challenger.

Last edited by Gungner : 02-09-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Unread 02-09-2020, 07:57 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
But if my #1 ranked fighter is set for prelims, then what's the point of having him as contender, if I'm going to get penalized for having fight for the title in the main-event, even if he is the best fighter? I mean, he IS the number ranked guy. Same if I use my #7 ranked fighter who is main-event potential, then I'll get penalized for using an undeserving challenger.
Building up the popularity of your best fighters is part of the challenge, just as it is in reality. Having champions / top contenders who nobody gives a damn about has been an issue for UFC in the past, there's no reason why the game would conveniently ignore that.
Unread 02-09-2020, 08:01 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post
Building up the popularity of your best fighters is part of the challenge, just as it is in reality. Having champions / top contenders who nobody gives a damn about has been an issue for UFC in the past, there's no reason why the game would conveniently ignore that.
Exactly. Just look at the current strawweight champion Zhang Weili.
Unread 02-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I get what youíre saying, but thatís something the UFC struggles with. Sometimes you get good fighters who just donít become popular for a variety of reasons. Look at DJ, GOAT Flyweight, one of the P4P best to ever do it and they had to stop having him headline PPVís because he was such a bad draw