View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Low Minors

Default WWF Superstars & Challenge #2 (03/12, 03/13)

WWF Superstars of Wrestling #2

March 12th, 1987

From the Icardo Center in Bakersfield, California

Attendance: 3,800 (Sold-Out)

Announce Team: Gorilla Monsoon, Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura

Quote:

The show kicks-off with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper entering the Icardo Center. Gene Okerlund soon appears, attempting to get the answer that has been on everybody's mind, is Roddy Piper staying with wrestling or going to Hollywood? Piper declined to comment and told Okerlund that he'll have to wait until tonight's "Piper's Pit" just like everyone else.

Quote:
Normal, Tag Team Match

The British Bulldogs Vs. The Dream Team (/w Johnny V.)

The British Bulldogs returned to action here tonight, after Dynamite Kid sustained a neck injury awhile back. Their first match back was not an easy one though. Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine ensured The British Bulldogs that they were not going to receive a warm welcome. They delivered a good beating to them in the early going, but The British Bulldogs got back into the mix. Davey Boy Smith carried the match in the end with a ton of offense and delivered a running powerslam on Beefcake to earn the pinfall victory.

Winners: The British Bulldogs

Match Time: 7:47

Finish: Running Powerslam by Smith on Brutus Beefcake leads to pin.

Quote:

Tensions began to show between The Dream Team as Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine started arguing in each other's face. Johnny V eventually got in between them both and ended the dispute quickly before it got out of hands.

Quote:

We head backstage, to where Gene Okerlund is standing by Billy Jack Haynes. Okerlund asks Haynes on what his thoughts was going into WrestleMania III and taking on Hercules in a Full Nelson Challenge. Haynes talks about how he's confident with his chances but before he can finish...

Bobby Heenan shows up with fellow Hennan Family members, King Kong Bundy and Hercules.

Bundy and Hercules assault Billy Jack Haynes while Gene Okerlund quickly retreats. After dealing a fairly good amount of damage, Hercules applies the Full Nelson on Haynes. Heenan tells him to release the hold, as he hypes up the Full Nelson Challenge match between Haynes and Hercules.

Bobby Heenan: "Confident with your chances huh Haynes? Don't make me laugh! You're just as pathetic as Hulk Hogan, who believes he's going to defeat Andre The Giant at WrestleMania III. What a fantasy! Haynes, let me remind you that you are going against Hercules in a Full Nelson Challenge match. There is only ONE true master of the Full Nelson and that's the almighty Hercules! Once Hercules puts you into that hold at WrestleMania, there will be NO ESCAPE!"

Bobby Heenan than leaves the scene with Bundy and Hercules, as they head to the ring.

Quote:
Normal, Singles Match

Tito Santana Vs. King Kong Bundy (/w Bobby Heenan)

Tito Santana was up for a big challenge here tonight, when he went one on one against King Kong Bundy. This was a one-sided match that really favored in Bundy's favor but Santana wouldn't back down from anyone. Santana attempted to fight Bundy but was brought down quickly. Bundy demolished Tito and ended him rather quickly with a Big Splash.

Winner: King Kong Bundy

Match Time: 5:47

Finish: Bundy delivers a Big Splash that leads to the pin.

Quote:

We get to one of the most highly anticipated moments of the night, as Hot Rod addresses the latest buzz in his infamous pit. He talked briefly about his movie career and how he enjoyed it. Piper brought up his potential retirement after WrestleMania but did not directly answer the rumor. However, Piper did have a lot to say about his upcoming Hair Vs. Hair match against Adrian Adonis at WrestleMania III.

Roddy Piper: "The latest buzz surrounding me is whether I'll retire after WrestleMania. All I can say is that I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. One thing for certain though, is that I won't be walking out of WrestleMania bald! I can guarantee you that, folks. I'm not so sure about you though Adrianna. Actually, I'm not so sure whether the bald look will make you look uglier or be an improvement. We'll find out though, because in Detroit, Michigan, I'm going to be giving out my very first hair cut in front of thousands of people. To sum it up for you, it's going to be the most historic haircut you'll ever get!"

Quote:
Normal, Non-Title, Singles Match

Randy Savage (/w Miss Elizabeth) Vs. George Steele

Randy Savage was far more aggressive in this match than he was in his previous match against George Steele at the final Saturday Night's Main Event. Steele attempted several times to fight back, but Savage was not having it as he had clear intentions of sending a message to Ricky Steamboat. While Steele was dazed and stunned, Savage looked to finish him off with a Flying Axe Handle, which then followed up by a Flying Elbow Drop to earn the pinfall victory.

Winner: Randy Savage

Match Time: 7:32

Finish: Flying Elbow Drop by Savage leads to the pin.

Quote:

Instead of gloating about his victory and celebrating like he usually does, Savage decided to continue his attack on George Steele. The referee tried to stop Savage, but Savage shoved the referee down to the mat hard.

Ricky Steamboat came charging to the ring and delivered a couple of strikes to Savage, until he was able to quickly escape the ring and retreat up the ramp with Miss Elizabeth. Steamboat hurried to Steele's aid, while he continued looking on at Savage, who kept his eyes on Steamboat, as he stood at the top of the ramp.

Quote:

The WWF World Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan was backstage hyping up his match against Andre The Giant at WrestleMania. Hogan then talked briefly about the attempted attack Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik tried on him last week. Hogan issued them both a challenge to come face him next week in a handicap-match. Hogan began to talk briefly about how he defeated The Iron Sheik three years ago to become the world champion. While Hogan began talking about his historic three year run with the championship, a few unexpected visitors came to visit the world champion.

Before Hogan could make a move, all four members of The Heenan Family began to attack him. Hogan was able to fight off Hercules and Ordnorff for a brief second, but the numbers game played its toll. All four men began stomping Hogan down, while Heenan watched on with a satisfied smile.

Bobby Heenan: "Hulk Hogan isn't all so mighty now huh? You can forget about that handicap match you issued to The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff, because next week you got an even bigger threat. That's right, next week Andre The Giant is going to be here to squash you like the insect that you are! Beware, because once Andre The Giant gets his hands on you, you may not be making it to WrestleMania to defend that championship! So, enjoy it while you can Hogan!"

TV Rating: 1.34 (1,008,520 Viewers)

Show Overall Grade:

Quote:
Backstage Incidents

N/A

WWF Wrestling Challenge #2

March 13th, 1987

From the Associated Feed Pavilion in Chowchilla, California

Attendance: 3,308 (Sold-Out!)

Announce Team: Lord Alfred Hayes and Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Velvet McIntyre earned herself another win this week when she defeated Judy Martin in 4:08 with a McIntyre Roll. This victory looks to solidify her run to the WWF Women's title against The Fabulous Moolah soon. (D+,51)

The Wild Samoans had another tough week when they lost against The Can-Am Connection in 5:36, when Rick Martel made Sika tap out to the Boston Crab. (C,63)

The WWF World Tag Team Champions, The Hart Foundation (/w Jimmy Hart) issued a challenge to The British Bulldogs. They say that if The British Bulldogs think they are so great, then face them next week on Superstars in a non-title match. (C,64)

In an extremely short match, Kamala defeated Hillbilly Jim in 4:06 with a Giant Splash. (C-,58)

Gene Okerlund informs the audience and viewers at home that Hulk Hogan suffered broken ribs from the hands of The Heenan Family on Superstars. Despite the announcement, Okerlund says that he can confirm that Hogan will still take on the handicap match he issued to The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff on next week's Superstars. Okerlund adds that Slick has accepted the challenge on behalf of his clients and that the match has been made official. (C+,70)

Two members of The Heenan Family, Hercules and King Kong Bundy came and dominated The Islanders. The match ended in 5:31 when Hercules applied the Full Nelson on Tama to make him tap out. (C,63)

The WWF President, Jack Tunney, comes out and announces a 15-man battle royal match at WrestleMania. Tunney adds that the winner of that match will go on to face the WWF Intercontinental Champion at the next PPV in April. Some of the participants announced are The Dream Team, King Kong Bundy, Paul Ordnorff, Butch Reed, Tito Santana, Koko B. Ware, Bob Orton Jr and The Young Stallions. (C,65)

After the news broke, Johnny V was shown backstage attempting to calm down The Dream Team's tensions between Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine. V informs them that they should focus on WrestleMania and the recently announced battle royal. (C,65)

In the main event of the night, Ricky Steamboat earned himself some momentum when he defeated "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr. In 9:28 with a Flying Karate Chop. (B-,76)

TV Rating: 0.49 (370,430 Viewers)

Show Overall Grade:

Quote:
Backstage Incidents / Notes

Brutus Beefcake has reportedly changed his wrestling style. He is now classified as a brawler.

"The Natural" Butch Reed was seen backstage this week, displaying a more ripped body shape. Many have said that he looks great and that he'll benefit in star quality because of the new shape. Some are going as far to say that Reed could be in for a bright future, as management is impressed with the new look.

This Week's News

Jim Crockett Promotion's, Road Warrior Animal, took some shots at Wendi Richter, during a radio show Saturday, March 14th. During the interview, Animal expressed his displeasure with Richter signing with JCP and doesn't see her as a great addition to the women's division. Which could signal a sign of backstage heat among the JCP's locker room.

Steve Blackman has been released by Stampede Wrestling Calgary. As of the moment, no company has offered Blackman a contract.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher1311 View Post
This one looks amazing and very easy to read. I'm excited to see your take on the era. Best of luck.
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback and glad to hear you'll be following!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejus View Post
This seems like an enjoyable read, I liked the first show. Good luck at keeping this going, I'll be reading!
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the feedback and interest!

Last edited by 123Kidd : 06-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.