View Single Post
Unread 12-18-2018, 12:05 PM
All Star

She sat on the carpeted living room of her one bedroom apartment. Bare legs were tucked under her body. Her almond-colored eyes were wet and sad. She looked at the couch where KC sat. His hair was disheveled from the gym. His face sullen.

“I’m sorry.” He said. His voice meant it. His eyes meant it. He meant it. “The offer is too good to pass up. Twenty-eight thousand dollars a month. Fully guaranteed. I can’t pass that up.”

“But it’s in Japan. It’s six thousand miles away.” Her voice was sad. Carried the weight of disappointment in it.

“I know. But -- I can’t not go. I can’t pass this up.”

“I know. But… What about us?” She asked. She meant it. Sure, it’d only been less than a year -- though it was closing in. Ten months of going steady. Eleven really, if you count March -- which she did but he didn’t. He counted from the Oxford Invitational to now. But she didn’t. She counted from the first date.

“I know there is a lot of distance… But I’ll have some time off from time to time. You can come out to see me too. We can make it work. You could… You could move with me?” He offered. It wasn’t the best idea. They had never lived together. To live together in a foreign country where only he spoke the native language? That could be dangerous.

“I can’t move to Japan.” Marjorie said. “I don’t know Japanese. I’ve got a job here. I like it here. This is my home. My mom is here. My siblings. My dad. Rocky Mountain Wrestling is as much my vision from a production standpoint as it is his. I can’t abandon it. There’s no job for me there. No job doing what I’m doing now.” She was adamant.

“Then we do the long distance until we figure out what we want to do. I know it’s going to be hard. But we can do it.”

She shook her head. “No.” She took a deep breath. “I can’t do that distance. I can’t. Not just the miles, but the time difference. We’d never speak or never sleep. It was fine for the tours. I can’t do it with you living there full time. I just can’t.”

“Marj. Don’t…” He began to plead but she shook her head again.

“I can’t, Kevin. I love you. I do. With all of my heart. I’ve loved you for -- well, longer than I was willing to admit. Well longer than I told you. But I can’t do six thousand miles and the hours of time difference. I just can’t do it.” She swallowed hard. She didn’t want to cry. Not right now. She would later. In bed, with her pillow. Breaking up wasn’t easy. Breaking up with someone you loved was even harder. Breaking up because of this… Well this was something she had not prepared for.

KC nodded. He understood. This was the life he had chose. He could have chose to stay in Rocky Mountain Wrestling. He wanted to be a star though. He wanted to be known world-wide. He had ambition and goals. He didn’t get into wrestling to work the independents and grind out a living. He wanted to be the best wrestler in the world. He was being offered more money than he ever thought possible. The kind of money he used to lay in bed and dream about. He loved Marjorie. He did. He knew he was being selfish. He couldn’t have it all. That wasn’t fair. Or realistic. But he wanted it all. “Please.” He squeaked out. Hoping beyond hope.

Marjorie heard his please. Saw the look on his face and it broke her. The tears fell. The tears she wanted to hide. The tears that would only make this harder. Her tears made his own fall. He wouldn’t admit to his friends that he cried. When he told them this story, he will have been stoic. Taken it like a champ. Right on the chin. But here in her apartment -- with no one but them to bear witness he cried.

Marjorie shook her head. Brown locks tossing about. “No. I can’t. I’m sorry… But… It’s over.”

The words came out of her heavy and almost choked out in her throat. KC ran his fingers through his hairs and tried to blink back the tears, but every time he blinked it just caused more tears to fall. He nodded that he understood. He did understand. “Okay...I’m sorry Marjorie. I love you. I do.”

She turned away from him. “Just.. Please. Go.” Each word was hard for her to say. Hard for her to get out. He did leave. He walked out and shut the door behind him and she cried on the floor of her apartment. Cried until she fell asleep on the floor. Sure, KC Glenn was leaving Rocky Mountain Wrestling and that sucked for her dad. But she loved him and now he was heading six thousand miles away -- and that was heartbreaking for her.