Default Gold Rush VIII, N1

Night One
Broadcast On Pay Per View Exclusively by MySelectUSA
Friday Week 4, August 2023.
Held At: V Thompson Arena [South West, USA]
In Attendance: 9,643
Buy Rate: .14 [71,360 buys]
Commentators: Lee Bambino & Ricky Dale Johnson

LB: Hello and welcome to the eighth annual Gold Rush tournament. We are coming to you from the V Thompson Arena where almost ten thousand fans of crammed into the building to see the premier professional wrestling in the United States and the premier wrestling tournament in the United States. Sixteen men have put their names forward to prove who is the toughest, the best, who can survive two nights of the toughest competition in all of wrestling. Plus, the World Heavyweight Title is on the line, the Women’s Tag Team Titles are on the line and the North American Tag Team Titles are on the line -- and that’s just tonight!

RDJ: This is my favorite weekend in all of wrestling, in all of the Continental Wrestling League calendar. It’s what professional wrestling is supposed to be about. Sixteen men trying to prove that they are the toughest. They can take the most punishment. When I broke into the sport in Texas, I remember a tournament we held in Dallas. It was an eight-man, one-night tournament. It was incredibly tough. I bled buckets, but at the end of the night I was champion. These two nights are even tougher. I had to win three matches in one night -- very tough. And to win this tournament, you have to win tonight and then win three matches tomorrow. It takes guts. It takes immeasurable amounts of intestinal fortitude. It takes a willingness to suffer, to hurt. It takes the ability to block out pain and to wrestle people you have not had an opportunity to prepare for outside of the first round.

LB: Who do you think is the favorite to win this? If you were betting, who would you put your money on?

RDJ: That’s a good question. There is a part of me that thinks Greg Keith has a good chance at repeating and becoming the first two-time Gold Rush winner. Any of Bowen Services has a shot. It’s hard to pick and I don’t like to bet when I’m not sure -- but if push comes to shove… I’m going to say Funakoshi. I think this is the year of Lionheart.

LB: Well, with that let’s get right to the ring for our first tournament match!

Opening Match
Singles Match
Fifteen Minute Time Limit
Gold Rush Tournament Opening Match

Greg Keith versus “The Omega Man” Harvey Robbinfield

In a decent match, Greg Keith defeated Harvey Robbinfield in 8:41 by submission with a Proton Lock.

Singles Match

Ranger versus Cameron Vessey w/ Lisa Bowen

In a bout that had great wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Cameron Vessey defeated Ranger in 11:51 by pinfall with a Vessey Driver II.

Singles Match

“Lionheart” Funakoshi versus “Glorious” Logan Diaz

In a bout that had great wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Logan Diaz defeated Funakoshi in 9:38 by pinfall with a Belly To Belly Suplex.

Singles Match

“The Canadian Wrestling Machine” David Stone versus “Flawless” Franklin Rush w/ Lisa Bowen

In a decent match, David Stone defeated Franklin Rush in 10:43 by pinfall with a German Suplex.

Quote:

SS: Ladies and gentlemen, before you we have the greatest sports entertainer of all time. There is no doubt about it. If you don’t believe it, look at Lisa right now. She’s holding the World’s Heavyweight Championship. The World’s Heavyweight Championship that I have defended all around the world. Unbeatable. And everywhere I go, people come up to me. They say ‘Champ, Ross Henry keeps thinking he was screwed. Supreme Star, Ross Henry is still crying about his loss to you. Spencer, how did you get so good looking? To the first two, I say I don’t care. To the third, I tell them it’s just good genetics. I was born blessed. Blessed with good looks. Blessed with supreme intelligence. Blessed with unparalleled athleticism. Blessed with a mental fortitude that is unmatched. But, tonight the GWC and CWL have decided that crybaby Ross Henry. The whiner Ross Henry. Mr. Second Place. Mr. Congenialty. The runner up. He gets a chance at the World Heavyweight Champion. I don’t agree with the decision. I don’t think he should be in the ring with me unless he’s taking my ring jacket and carrying it to the back for me. He’s got a shot though and I’m the World’s Champion. And later tonight, I’m going to walk down that aisle like only I can walk. I’m going to get in that ring and wrestle a match like only I can wrestle and when it’s all said in done. When the dust settles and the announcement is made -- it will be that I am STILL the World’s Heavyweight Champion. Like it or love it, it’s the truth. Let’s go Lisa…

The duo walk off to finish preparing for the World’s Title match in the main event.

Tag Team Match
Thirty Minute Time Limit

Amber Allen & Jaime Quine versus The Uprising

In a bout that had good wrestling but didn't have much heat, Amber Allen and Jaime Quine defeated The Uprising in 15:26 when Talia Quinzel intentionally got counted out while fighting Amber Allen.

In terms of in-ring work, Jaime Quine was head and shoulders above everyone else.

Singles Match

“The Hillbilly Hammer” Clyde Puder versus Hammer Hadley

In a bout that had decent wrestling but didn't have much heat, Clyde Puder defeated Hammer Hadley in 9:41 by pinfall with a Patriot Powerslam.

Singles Match

“The Headhunter” Jeffery Aroma versus “Cool Hand” Casey Valentine w/ Lisa Bowen

In a bout that had great wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Casey Valentine defeated Jeffery Aroma in 12:06 by pinfall with a Deep Impact.

Singles Match

Matty Faith versus Keith Holly w/ February Malaise

In a bout that had superb wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Matty Faith defeated Keith Holly in 10:12 by pinfall with a Leap Of Faith.

Singles Match

KC Glenn versus Ash Campbell w/ Lisa Bowen

In a bout that had great wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, Ash Campbell defeated KC Glenn in 10:43 by pinfall, illegally using the ropes for leverage.

Semi Main Event
Tag Team Match
Forty-Five Minute Time Limit

Henry Garner is in a cage ringside

The Heartbreak Express versus The Dynamite Express (c) w/ Henry Garner

In a bout that had good wrestling and a decent reaction from the crowd, The Heartbreak Express defeated The Dynamite Express in 8:45 when Johnny Needham defeated Cameron Jones by pinfall with a Moonsault. The Heartbreak Express win the CWL Tag Team titles.

Quote:

RH: Earlier tonight, Spencer Spade had some very choice words for me. He was very specific. He called me a cry baby. A loser. A guy who always comes in second place. Spencer, I want you to listen close. I want you to scoot up in your chair to the monitor in your locker room. I want you to pay close attention.

Ross Henry holds up his fist. He has his two professional football championship rings on his hand.

RH: I’m anything but a loser. I’m anything but a man who finishes in second place. I’m a man who gets the job done. I’m the man who beat Tommy Cornell. Who beat Jay Chord. Who has beaten every challenge put in front of me. Every challenge the CWL can find. Every challenge the GWC can find. I rise the occasion. Because I’m a big time player. I’m the guy who wants the ball in his hands at the end of the game. I’m the guy the team turns to -- and you Spencer…. You are the guy that hides behind a woman. Who relies on his buddies in the Bowen Services. You’re the man who ducks and dodges and does whatever he can to not have to get into the ring with me. Tonight though, you can’t run. You can’t hide. You can stand in that ring and you can look across at the baddest man on the planet and you can know that you’ve got less than sixty minutes left. You’re one Earthquake Powerslam away from being everything I’ve ever said you are. A great athlete, but a man who is out of his depth. ‘Cause the Boss is here and the Boss is ready to take back what is rightfully his.

In an exceptional match, Spencer Spade defeated Ross Henry in 29:04 by pinfall with a Supreme Stunner after Lisa Bowen interfered. Spencer Spade makes defence number 6 of his GWC World Heavyweight title.

Overall